Chapter 10 - There's nothing left

Midoriya groggily opened his eyes and blinked, trying to figure out where he was. Reiko licked his cheek as Midoriya pushed himself up into a sitting position, and blanched when he saw Nezu sitting at his desk, typing away.

"Ah, hello Midoriya, had a nice nap?"

Midoriya was quick to stagger to his feet, clutching Reiko tightly as he tried to apologise while bowing.

Nezu just chuckled, "Don't worry about it. You looked like you needed a nap."

His expression hardened, "Though you have never fallen asleep like this before. Are you okay, Midoriya? Are you getting enough rest at home?"

Midoriya blearly blinked, and nodded. He was getting enough rest, though it was barely enough to keep him functioning throughout the day. But it would be pretty embarrassing to admit that he had drunk spiked water.

His eyes unconsciously trailed to his water bottle, and Nezu caught the motion.

"Oh dear... Do you know who may have done that?" Nezu asked.

Midoriya just shook his head. He didn't want that kid in his foster home to get into trouble. He was one of the nicer ones, and hadn't really bothered Midoriya before. Nezu hopped off his chair, and plucked the bottle out of Midoriya's bag.

"I'll just hand this to Recovery Girl to check if it's dangerous or just a mild sedative. It's rather late now, so I'll just escort you home so you won't get into trouble for taking a nap."

Midoriya was grateful that Nezu had brought that up. If he went home on his own, no doubt he was probably going to get smacked on the head a couple of times for getting home late, since today was a day where he didn't go to the animal rescue shelter.

"Thank... you..."

"Don't worry about it, Midoriya." Nezu grinned, reaching up to pat Midoriya's arm.

----------------------------------------------------------

Based on Reiko's description of Midoriya's living conditions, Nezu expected Midoriya's foster parent to be loud, brash, possibly cursing and swearing a lot.

He wasn't expecting for Midoriya to be smacked harshly on the head the second he entered the house.

"How many times have I told you to be back on time?!" His foster mother roared, as Midoriya just stood there, letting her yell at him.

"Ahem." Nezu cleared his throat, gaining the woman's attention, "About that -"

"Excuse me, who are you?" The woman scoffed, "What kind of quirk made you look like that?"

"I should introduce myself. My name's Nezu. I'm the principal of UA, the school that Midoriya currently goes to."

The woman just rolled her eyes dramatically and sighed, "What did Midoriya do this time?"

Nezu raised his eyebrow, "Midoriya didn't do anything, in fact. Someone messed with his drink and he ended up passing out in his class. That's why he came home late."

The woman scoffed, "Seriously?"

She turned to Midoriya, "That's a new one. What other lies are you making up now? First it was classmates destroying your homework, messing with your locker, taking your worksheets, and now spiking your drinks? Can't you come up with something more believable instead of filling people's heads with lies?"

Nezu blanched at how uncaring she seemed to be towards Midoriya. How could he stand to live with someone like that?

He was about to say something when he saw Midoriya signing something behind his back.