Part Two

The familiar clink of the can rolling down the vending machine jolts Jennie awake again. The peach juice is ice cold and revitalizes her senses as she gulps a mouthful down. She makes her way back to the children's room, thinking about what to bring next week to keep them preoccupied and happy. The paper cranes were still exciting to them, but it was always good to plan ahead for future activities.

She stops at Sleepy Ahjumma's door at the sound of a familiar song.

If our love is tragedy why are you my remedy
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity

It is then that she realizes that Sleepy Ahjumma was the same one who sang 'Sakurairo Maukoro' two weeks ago.

Now she really wonders if the songs Sleepy Ahjumma were singing reflected the innermost parts of her heart, because clearly, she was not the type of person Jennie had imagined her to be. For some reason, she expected some fragile girl behind those walls, heartbroken about love and life. Instead, she was a snarky and haughty woman.

At least, that was her first impression of Sleepy Ahjumma. She wasn't really counting on seeing the other woman again after extending her invitation only for it to be crushed so casually.

--

A week thumbs by slowly as a certain somber voice lingers in Jennie's head. Perhaps that particular voice and tune is popping up because it's Tuesday again.

"Why Tuesdays?"

Jennie stops nibbling on the styrofoam cup to look up at Chaeyoung's eyes.

"I don't know."

It's break time again at the office which means Chaeyoung's time to hassle Jennie for fun.

"There's got to be a reason why you picked Tuesdays of all days to visit the hospital."

"Can't I just pick a random day to visit?"

"No!" Chaeyoung's quick to jump onto suspicion. "There's got to be an ulterior motive!"

"You have way too much free time on your hands if you're worrying about trivial things like that."

"Fair enough." Just as she's fast enough to jump on, she's even quicker to jump off.

Her personality always brings a smile to Jennie's face during a mundane week.

"How'd you end up there again?"

"You forgot already?" Chaeyoung just nods as Jennie continues, "Peach juice."

"What?"

"I pass by the hospital on my way home every day. On one particular day after work, I was craving some peach juice. Then I remembered that when I visited my grandma as a kid, she'd always give me money for some juice from the vending machines. Next thing I know, I was already making my way towards the vending machine in the corridor. I don't know what overcame me, but I even lied about visiting a patient when the nurses asked me. Then on my way back, I looked into one of the rooms, the door being left ajar, and I saw the kids there. They looked so sad that I just decided to visit them on the whim. And now, this is where we are."

Chaeyoung just nods slowly, "Who knew peach juice could bring people together like that?"

Jennie just laughs, "Indeed."

--

Cupping her hands around her mouth, Jennie speaks, "Everyone, gather around. It's story time."

Dajung rounds the kids up as Jennie opens up a big picture book.

Clearing her throat, she begins using her reading voice.