13.Back Home Again

Chicago

Ani, Kenny and I enter the house. We are all extremely tired.It was a long flight with two connections (three for Colby).
Ani plopped onto the couch and turned on her iPad.
"Geesh Ani," I said "Haven't been in the house five minutes and you're already on that thing?!"
Ani shrugged as she continued her game.
"She's always on it," said Kenny rolling her eyes "Did you at least text Daddy to let him know we are back in Chicago?!-"
Ani doesn't answer.
"-Ani! ANISTON!!!!" said Kenny loudly.
Aniston looks at Kenny "What?!" snapped Ani.
" Did you text Daddy to let him know we are
home? "
"No why should I," said Ani and going back to iPad.
Kenny looked at me defeated "Bex?"
I stroked her beautiful blonde head "I did Kenny.Now don't worry. You remember where Trinity's room is right?"
Kenny nods and headed towards Trinity 's bedroom.
I now set my sights on Ani. I sit down on the coffee table in front of her.
I take the iPad.
"Hey!" she said making a grab for it as I held it over my head "Give that back."
" I will, "I said placing the iPad under the coffee table "Why were you so cruel to your baby sister?!"
Ani sighed and crossed her arms"She is annoying," said Ani "Why should I be the one,"
I held up a hand and she shut up "Ani all she asked was if you texted your father.Why are you so upset?"
Ani sighed slightly and shrugged " I don't know, " said Ani "A lot of things I guess. Dad dating again, the whole Fiji trip." The tears that had formed in Ani's eyes gave way and started streaming down her face.
"Oh Aniston," I said sitting next to her and taking her into my arms.
"It's not fair. I wish my Mom was still alive," said Ani threw sniffles .
"I know you do," I said rubbing her shoulder and arm "Trust me I understand. But to take all your frustrations out on Kenny who I might remind you is going threw it with you. You two aren't alone though you've got Trin and myself."
" And Colby? "asks Ani.
I smile "You really like him huh?"
" Not as much as you, -"said Ani.
Damn this girl has my number. Guess it helps she has known me her entire life.
" -Bex are you blushing? "
"No," I said trying to hide my face.
"Yes you are," said Kenny as she came back in.
Kenny plopped down next to me.
"You reallllllly like him?!" asks Ani.
"You know girls I think I do," I said leaning back on the couch and putting my feet up on the coffee table.
"Bex?" asks Kenny snuggling into my side.
"Yes," I said.
"I like what Mr. Colby does to your face," said Kenny.
"What do you mean sweetie?"
" He puts a smile on your face and makes a song in your heart, "said Kenny looking at me with her father's blue eyes.
I smile "Kenny did anyone ever tell you you are an absolute sweetheart?!"
" Yes Daddy does all the time, "smiled Kenny.
" Well Kenny I've got a secret your Daddy is right. "
Kenny hugs me tightly.
"So Bex?!" smiled Ani "Are we going to be seeing Colby again this week?"
" Maybe, "I said as someone knocked on the front door.
" I'll get it! "yelled Kenny.
" Woah," I said "No you won't. You're nine and it is night out."
I open the door and to my surprise.

Chicago

"Colby?!" she said shocked.
"Hi," I said.
"Colby?" asked Bex " What are you doing here? "
"My flight got cancelled and there were no rent a car places open. I took an Uber here. Can I crash on your couch until tomorrow when I can get a car?"
Just as she stood there dumbfounded a rumble of thunder was heard in the distance.
"Come on in," she said "We are about to get a storm. "
She moved Kenny and herself aside.
I entered the house. Ani sat on the couch with her mouth open.
"Hi Ani," I said.
Ani just waves her mouth still hanging open.
"You know she really likes you," said Kenny pointing to Bex.
Bex blushes beat red "Kenny."
" Ooop, "said Kenny covering her mouth "Sorry Bex."
Bex looks at Kenny. Bex smiles at the nine year old whose bright blue eyes sparkled as she looks at her. I think to myself same Kenny I have stars in my eyes every time I look at her too.
"It's fine Kenny," said Bex as she knelt to be eye level with her "It wasn't exactly a secret," Bex looks at me "Was it?"
I smile "Ummm no," I said.
"Good because I swear you both had heart eyes the moment you two saw each other," said Ani.
" Ani!!! "said Kenny "Daddy told us not to say that!!!"
Bex stood "Wait what did your Daddy say to not say?" said Bex raising an eyebrow.
"That he saw the moment you two fell in love," said Ani.
"Ani!!!!!" hissed Kenny "Shhhhhhh."
I laughed as did Becky.
Kenny looks at us confused "What's so funny?!"
" What your Daddy said, "said Bex smoothing Kenny's silky blonde hair.
Kenny tilted her head "How is saying two people are in love funny?"
Bex smiles at Kenny "It's not," said Bex as her eyes flicked to me "It's that most males aren't in tune like your Daddy is."
Kenny tilted her head "Boys are dumb?" she asks looking at me.
" Pretty much, "I laughed "Women are way smarter-"
I smile at Bex and she blushes.
"-That is unless they are stupidly in love with someone then they can do some dumb things," I said "But when a guy is stupidly in love he lies saying stuff like his flight was cancelled or he couldn't get a rent a car. "
I saw the exact moment it dawned on Bex and her eyes flickered with love. She smiled at me.
"Umm Kenny that's our cue to go," said Ani.
She stood and took Kenny's hand.
"But I am not tired Ani," protests Kenny.
"Yes you are," said Ani.
Kenny looks at her sister confused and then to Bex and I.
"Oh yes I am," said Kenny.
Kenny hugged Bex.
"Night Kenny," said Bex "Ani thanks."
Ani smiled and nodded "Good night."
The girls took their leave. As soon as we heard their doors closed. We flew into each other's arms. The kissing turned passionate quickly as we fell onto the couch things begin to escalate but Bex put the breaks on.
"Woah," said Bex "I would like to but I have two young girls I have to think about. Adam would kill me if he found out they walked in on us."
" Gotcha, "I said as I took her into my arms and we snuggled on the couch where we wound up falling sound asleep until Ani woke us up in the morning.