Chapter 3 - Notebook

I sat awake. Staring at the blurry ceiling, then the wall, then the ceiling again. I sat up a few times, then laid back down. I would've tried tossing and turning, but the way my arm was tied to the bed didn't really make that easy.

The room faded into darkness, then filled with gentle light while the sun rose. Another sleepless night. That's one thing that hasn't changed since I was brought here. Sleep never goes my way. I didn't even have my cellphone to make the time go by faster.

I didn't have anything, actually, now that I think about it.

Slowly, not long after dawn broke, my eyesight returned to normal. I could see everything clearly now, finally. Oh, thank god the blindness wasn't permanent.

I took this opportunity to actually take in my surroundings. I looked down, seeing that I was on top of an old, ragged mattress.

Called it.

I also saw that I was in a room, void of any decorations on the wall. There was my bed, a small table and a recliner right next to it. And an IV on the other side that just so happened to be hooked into my numb arm. There was a liquid dripping out of it, but it clearly wasn't Saline or anything like that. So that's why my arm was numb, because of whatever was in that IV.

Awesome. Great. Love that. Chemically induced paralysis; my favorite.

I threw my head back, hitting the metal bar with a soft ring. I didn't care enough to react to the new dull stinging on the back of my skull. I quietly contemplated whether or not the solution had an effect on my legs as well, or if they were just numb from my running/fighting the day before. I blink the thought away and continue to examine my new environment with lackluster enthusiasm.

There was a window on one of the walls. It was open, a gentle breeze blew through, stirring up the stagnant air. Even from my place on the bed I could see a forest of trees. That explains the smell of pine I picked up on earlier. It definitely isn't the same forest as the camp though, that much is obvious.

I stared longingly out the window. Immediately feeling like a bird trapped in a cage, only able to see the beautiful sky and trees from my place behind gilded bars. My chest felt heavy as sorrow creeped into my heart.

I want to go home.

I heard the door creak open and I shifted my head to look at the entrance. The masked man stood in the doorway, idly watching me, another bowl of mush cradled in his hands. His emotions and thoughts are hidden by that sorrowful mask. I turned my head back to the window with a soft sigh to continue staring at the falling leaves, barely even giving him a response now.

Silence filled the room. The only sounds that broke it were the man's footsteps and the branches swaying in the wind. I heard him take a seat in the recliner, the leather straining with his weight. There was also a small clunk when he sat the bowl on the table.

There was another sound that confused me. The sound of a thick paperback flitting through its pages. Did he really bring a book in here?

My eyes drifted to the side, only to see the man holding a notebook. Y'know, the kind with the yellow pages.

?? Why? Of all things, why that??

'Can you see? The solution should've worn off by now.' The hooded man lifted the book to show the words scrawled out in big letters over a single page.

I give pause. I'm in such a state of shock that I can't even understand what the paper reads despite it being held like two inches from my face.

What. The Fuck. Is. Happening?????