Home At Last

Steven stood there in front of Pearl, holding Connie's hand. Pearl hugged Steven hard, and he plastered on a fake smile for her.
"I'm okay now, see?" He asked as Pearl released him. Amethyst and Garnet were standing on either side of Pearl. Garnet was making sure Connie was alright, Amethyst doing the same for Steven. Pearl looked about ready to melt.
"Oh Steven, i'm very happy to hear that, but did something happen to Connie?"
"She's tired." He replied quickly and flatly. The gems stared at Steven, then turned their gaze to Connie.
"Are you... Sure?" Pearl asked quietly. Connie held her vacant expression. Steven nudged her with his elbow. It was as if she came to life.
"I'm okay! Just tired." She repeated after Steven, light returning to her eyes and a smile on her face. Pearl started, surprised by her sudden bright expression. Maybe it's just a human thing, She thought, shaking her head to clear her mind.
"Steven, you should take a shower! You don't smell very good." Connie said, staring at him. He mumbled something and Pearl nodded.
"She's right, it might help you feel better." Pearl said quickly, her voice fast and high pitched. Steven could admit that he did need a shower, so he silently walked to his bathroom. Pearl heard the sound of the shower come to life, and she brought her attention back to Connie. Pearl put her hand together and smiled brightly.
"Oh Connie, thank you for bringing him back safe. We're all so glad." She said sweetly. Amethyst and Garnet were still silent, staring at Connie with careful eyes. Connie seemed like she was staring right through pearl.
"Yes! I'm so happy I found him!" Connie replied in an enthusiastic tone. Her eyes were wide and her face was still. It almost seemed like she wasn't breathing, but that was impossible for a human, and Pearl saw the slight rise and fall of Connie's chest. Pearl looked up as the shower turned off, and a minute later Steven stepped out with a fresh new clothes on, save the messy pink jacket hung over his shoulder. There was also a bag in his hand, with a towel on top that hid the rest of it's contents from view. Pearl looked at it only for a second before reaching out to take the jacket.
"Let me clean this for you!" She exclaimed. Steven shook his head slightly and sighed.
"Fine. Knock yourself out." He replied, waving a hand to Connie. "C'mon, we've got somewhere to be." He grumbled. The fleeting look in Steven's eyes sent a shiver through Pearl. She stepped back to let Connie pass, who held that same vacant smile and almost marched after Steven. Garnet stopped Pearl before she could object.
"I think he needs some time to breathe." Garnet said calmly. The front door closed behind Connie loudly. Amethyst spoke up.
"He just had it! You can't let him leave!" She fumed, ready to run after him.
"No, Amethyst. I..." She paused, looking for the right words. "I'm afraid there's a likely possibility that harm will come to us if we don't leave him be for a while." She stated. Pearl and Amethyst stared at her. Pearl felt herself become upset and scared.
"Garnet, what is he going to do?" She said slowly, making eye contact with Garnet. Garnet looked away.
"Garnet!" Amethyst echoed, grabbing her arm. Garnet looked at the ground.
"I... I'm sorry. I can't tell you." She took a deep, shaky breath and sat on the couch. She took of her visor and put her face in her hands.
"All I can say is that Steven... Is dangerous now." Garnet said quietly. Pearl suddenly felt awful. What ungodly thing was Steven going to do?