Alone

Steven chose not to look back as the door slammed shut behind him. Connie stared at him, smiling. He sighed.
"You're really acting like a Pearl, Connie." He told her, annoyance creeping into his flat tone. Connie nodded quickly, the expression still on her face. Steven growled in his throat and went down the rough balcony stairs. Connie followed eagerly, skipping down the stairs. Steven stopped at the bottom.
"Lion, buddy? We need a lift to Connie's house!" He shouted over the loud sound of waves crashing into the shore. Soon enough there was a large pink nose belonging to a large pink lion peeking out. The huge mammal padded out of his little hiding place underneath the deck.
"Very good." Steven said quickly. Connie remained stationary.
"Get on Lion, Connie. We need to get there soon, I would like to get it over with."
Connie snapped to action as soon as Steven spoke. Even to the hybrid, this was becoming strangely off-putting. He waved off his doubts and got onto Lion; they were quickly launched into a warp, and Lion's paws hit the paved road with a thump. There in front of them stood Connie's house.
Steven got off his pet, grabbing Connie by the arm and pulling her off as well. There was no reaction from her, but she landed firmly beside Steven. The smile she was giving him made him growl yet again.
"Connie, we're going to 'greet' your parents. You will pretend like you're sick, and go to your room. I have to talk to your mother alone." Steven told her quickly, seeing the living room light flicked on through the window. A forced smile plastered on his face, he rang the doorbell. He took a step back as it opened, revealing the face of Connie's mother.
"Steven?!" Her tone was full of surprise and worry.
"Connie told me you were-"
"I'm fine, Mrs. Maheshwaren. Can we come in? It's getting dark and Connie isn't feeling well." Steven told her, impatient. The doctor looked at Steven carefully, surprised by his unusual attitude. She saw his scarred face, realizing he had probably been through a lot while he was missing.
"Of course. And what was this about Connie being sick?" She opened the door a little wider, allowing Steven and Connie to step completely inside. Steven frowned; the look Connie's mother was giving him made him remember that she was a doctor. She could probably tell from a single look Connie was fine. But when he shot a glimpse at Connie, he had never seen someone look so dull and sick. Her shoulders slumped, her face read upset. He let out a long sigh of relief and went to stand in the kitchen, beckoning for the doctor to follow. Connie left for her room, and her mother went to follow, but Steven grabbed her wrist.
"Mrs. Maheshwaren. She just needs to lay down." He told her, his face mimicking concern. They had no time, and urgency crept into Steven's voice. Reluctantly, the doctor followed Steven into the kitchen.
     "Er... Priyanka. There's something you need to know." Steven had his back to the doctor, bent over his duffel bag and putting on gloves. The mother couldn't see what he was doing, but still, she got an uneasy jolt. Something had been off about Steven...
     His eyes.
     His eyes glowed eerily, his iris's  replaced by pink sparkling diamonds, with a small black pupil in the middle.
     "Steven, are you sure you're alright? Your ey-"
     "I'm FINE!" He shouted, making the doctor take a step back. He cleared his throat, the light dancing on a metal object he had quickly pulled out of the bag.
     "I'm... Sorry?" The doctor said quickly, trying to see what Steven was doing. He stood up quickly and turned to face her.
     "Steven! You're pink! Is that... Normal?" She asked, fear and concern taking her over.
Suddenly she realized what she had seen. A knife. A sharp, metal kitchen knife. But it was too late.
     As she looked on in horror, the weapon wedged in her stomach, Steven grabbed her by the hair and pulled her to his face.
     "Goodbye, doctor. I do hope Connie feels better soon." He whispered, smiling, and dragging the knife all the way up to her throat. She hit the ground with an empty thud, and Connie walked into the room.
     "Steven?"
     The blood-soaked boy turned to her slowly.
     "What?" He replied sharply, walking towards her. She smiled at him as if nothing had happened.
     "I am hungry."