Scattered

"C'mon, Universe. Show me why you're the living legend!"

     Steven released a sharp cry as Spinel hit him in the head with the butt of her rejuvinator. He was helpless.
     Only moments before, Spinel had relentlessly pummeled Steven with blows from her glowing weapon, until Steven was knocked to the ground.
     Now in the presence of this violent gem, Steven buckled and slammed his head against one of the legs of the injector. The world was now slightly blurry, and he hadn't had time to regain himself before Spinel came at him with all her terrible power.
     Steven felt the weapon hit his face so hard that his skin tore and he cried out in pain.
     "Please, stop! I... Who are you?!" He spat frantically, covering the cut with the sleeve of his jacket. The gem giggled, quietly at first, before bursting into a long and malicious laugh.
     "Don't tell me you don't remember your best friend Spinel, Pink!" Her tone dropped from laughter to bitter annoyance in a matter of seconds.
      "Oh, but of course you would, wouldn't you? You never cared. That makes me want to kill you SO MUCH MORE!" She screamed, aiming for another attack.
     Steven's powers were useless, as he had discovered only minutes ago. That... Weapon had done it, he was sure. But he was bleeding so badly he didn't even think to dodge as Spinel hit him again.
     Over.
     And over.
     The gleam in her eyes only intensified as Steven's shirt tore and broke even more skin.
     "Quit being difficult and DIE already! I haven't got all day!" She raged, stepping back a few paces.
     Steven couldn't help it. His blood splattered the ground and the leg of the injector, and just the sight of it made him weak. Tears bubbled hotly in his eyes and quickly began to spill over, dripping on the ground and swirling with the crimson.
     Spinel felt the anger push and flood her even harder. He would die. He had to die. He was so weak, and she was so strong, so why wasn't he dead already?
     His gem.
     That terrible, awful-
     Spinel screamed with rage. The echoing bang as the butt of her rejuvinator hit Steven as hard it possibly could. He instantly screamed. He screamed so loudly that it startled Spinel, and she staggered backwards.
    She looked at his gem.
     His shirt was violently torn away, in half, and his gem was plain.
     The splintering crack was more clear than anything Spinel had ever seen, and she laughed, at first, triumphantly. The victory quickly turned bitter on her tongue.
     He was still alive.
     NO!
     "Why won't you die, Universe?" She cried angrily, stretching her arm to grab Steven by the throat. He flinched backwards, but to no avail. Spinel was already violently pulling the hybrid into the air in front of her. The gem could feel the labored breath of Steven, who had cried until he couldn't cry anymore. She laughed, a vile, wicked laugh.
     "Y'know Steven, I came here to take my anger out on a bunch of strangers," She paused for a moment, holding the end of her rejuvinator not an inch from his gem. "But now that I know you..."
The sharp electric hiss of the rejuvinator springing to life scared the boy, and he held his breath.
     "I want to kill you even more."
     He was so afraid, so desperately afraid, that he lost control of his own movements.
He watched himself reach, as if time was slowed, for the rejuvinator in her hands. She barely struggled with him, in surprise, and he pushed the little pink button under his thumb.
It shot through her form, and she grasped it, giving Steven the same smile she had held since the beginning of the ordeal.
"Oh, Stevie, I sure do hope you die."
With that, her form exploded into nothing, the faint echo of a laugh on the air.
Her gem hit the grass and Steven paused.
There was a feeling, in his chest, and he couldn't ignore it. It was new.
He felt-
Pink.
But pink was and is not a feeling.
Yet, somehow, in that fearful mind burning with adrenaline and his blood all over the grass, he felt pink. A raging, twisting pushing pink.
So he raised the rejuvinator high above his head, and brought it down as hard as he could on that sparkling, heart- shaped gemstone.
The sound was deafening to him.
He'd shattered.
Her pieces, scattered among the blades of grass, were everywhere, and he couldn't think rationally anymore.
The gems are going to hate me.
Connie is going to leave me.
All his thoughts, everywhere in his head, pulled together in one collective, untrue realization-
He could not go home.
He was not going to go home.
He picked the rejuvinator off the ground, struggling to stand and propping himself up against the leg of the injector.
He looked at the weapon in silence, for a moment.
"Where do I go?"