Chapter 4

That day was one of the longest days of my life. I dragged myself to each class and not even my best friends' opposing antics could lighten me up. Jam suggested that I should tell Principal Jacobs that I'm too intelligent to enter such an egoistic, self-acclaimed competition. I smiled. We really are friends but Louise begs to disagree.

This would be an opportunity for me to widen my experience and toughen up my credentials as she explained. I pointed out that the school I am hoping to enter is more focused on the weight of the intensive and AP classes I take and my SAT scores. She pouted at me and tried to convince Jam instead. In situations like this, they would usually have heated discussions, a playful banter until they would agree to one decision. And on that particular time, they finally decided that it would be best for me to enter to prove myself.

Prove myself? Nah, I don't think so. Studying is a habit. Learning is fun and I never thought that I would have to prove myself because I get to learn so many things. Well, it's a noble excuse but a very lame one at that. I arrived at the principal's office five minutes before the allotted time, prepared to give my feeble reasoning. I heard Principal Jacobs and her son whispering madly inside the office on a half-opened door.

"Mom, I really don't want to join. Can't you just bail me out? I've got better things to do." Principal Jacobs sighed impatiently.

"Thomas, you belong to be in that competition. Your father was so proud of you. Top 2, I must say. You and Miss Dharts actually tied up, but you answered the bonus question much more distinctly. It might be hell since you are both in it but those brains of yours should be put into good use. I thought you of all people would understand this. You know what I mean."

"It's as if she can beat me. Mom, I don't want to waste my time on this." I heard another murmured displeasure and silence. I knocked at the door thrice and heard Principal Jacobs say enter. Tom pulled the door wide open and gave me his familiar stare before he left. I raised my brows and entered with my head held up high.

Principal J fixed her face into businesslike and pointed me to an empty seat across her desk. A little competition? Why not? Let's spice up this scholastic decathlon.

The daily meetings at school were indeed hell. And surprise, Tom and I were assigned in the science theories and chemical reactions, together with Kathy (a senior). The rest were divided into Math and Literature. I openly volunteered to be among the Literature group but according to Mrs. Foster, molecules and I are much compatible with each other. Tom and I can no longer be nonchalant with each other because we have to work together to ace this competition. Because, yes, why settle for less. But that doesn't mean we'll talk. Because we certainly won't.

Everyone in school found out that Tom and I were on the same team, and a rumor started that the competition would be bloody even before the official contest begins. I smiled at their foolishness, but I do wonder how soon it will happen. I'd be happy to take an active part in it.

Kathy is a sweet person. She talks like we are the best of friends. As Tom and I were giving each other the silent treatment, she decided to give the topics we would study and even plan group meetings every Saturday. She became an expert in handling our current situation. I would build her a golden statue if I can.

But a week before the competition, she cracked. I was telling her as politely as I could that the equation she and Tom both solved were wrong. Tom obviously pissed, crumpled the paper he was working on. I gave him a look that my younger brothers found to be dangerous, but Tom wouldn't back down and that's when Kathy bellowed.

"C' mon guys. I know you two despise each other but just this one last Saturday. Let's pretend to be mature teenagers." She went inside her house, the patio's door slamming behind her.

Tom broke the stare and sighed deeply. I gulped my lemonade and stood up. I went inside and found her in the kitchen preparing three glasses of vanilla chip ice cream. I apologized and she smiled. She said that it's okay but we should simmer our hate for a bit. I nodded and helped her carry the glasses. On our way to the patio, she asked, "What happened between you guys? Did you date or something?" I scoffed at her, shaking my head incredulously. "That would be like worse than the nuclear bombing in Hiroshima." "Yeah, I would know and besides I don't feel that romantic vibe. Yet. But what really happened?"

I snickered at the subtle presage. "Nothing." She shrugged off her curiosity freely. We reached the table, and Kathy placed the tray on top of the books. "So, are we all good now?" I smiled at her sheepishly.

Tom apologized to Kathy and we ate our ice cream silently. The air between us was no longer cold, unforgiving and insouciant. Kathy felt the improved air and enjoyed her ice cream deliciously.