Chapter 11

Jam decided to move out when she was offered a position in a private firm after passing the bar. It's a 20-minute drive instead of the 45 minutes she would sacrifice every day. Our 7-year roommate relationship has ended as she finally joined the working class. Louise kept teasing me on how I was able to stay in school the longest, wherein I was always the first one who wants to go home back in high school. I wonder why, indeed.

After four years of dancing on Broadway and touring around the world, Louise and her dance partner, Pier joined a national dance contest. Jam and I flew over to watch her compete in the semis. She was beautiful as ever. Though they didn't make it to the finals, they were celebrated in our hometown. They were invited to tour in different cities after until Pier retired for good due to a ligament injury. Louise was caught between three options: find another partner, dance solo or accept the job as a dance teacher in a private school back home. She decided to put down her worn-out luggage and sought back The Golden State.

Louise decided to stay with me instead of getting her own place as it's always a practical choice to have a roommate. I love Jam to bits but with Lou, I always find our apartment warm and clean. It's not that Jam and I were messy but Lou is much more of a neat freak. In addition, the smell of newly-baked cookies or bread would frequently welcome me home after a tiring day. She'd be a perfect wife and a wonderful mother. Too bad, the guys lurking around are no good. I knew a guy in my class who I think is a perfect fit, I hope.

I became human again, or so they say. On my second year in Ph.D., I dated Matthew from NSF (National Science Foundation) but it lasted only for a year due to conflict of research interest. We both had strong convictions which killed the relationship to dust. On my fifth and final year, I met Mike, the coffee shop owner that I frequented during my busy dissertation phase. We have gotten along so well that I introduced him to my friends. The girls like him especially his humor but Tom, on the other hand, is apathetic. Well, we can't please everybody.

On my Ph.D. graduation (finally!), I almost cried as I don't shed tears normally. Jam and Louise were sniffing on my behalf especially when I bounded the stage and received my diploma. I am now free from the clutches of academia.

I received a bouquet of yellow roses from Mike as he greeted me with a big hug after the ceremony. This scene looks familiar though, that's when I saw Tom behind my parents looking at us pensively. Then, I remembered. I showed him the flowers and gave a knowing smile. He shook his head and scoffed. I narrowed my eyes at him and he eventually chuckled. Yellow roses and graduations. What a curious combination.

We went for dinner that night in Fontana's except for Mike. He has to attend a meeting with the investors for his expanding coffee shop. Too bad he wasn't able to get to know the family better. Everybody was enjoying their time especially the girls and my brothers. Tom was showing me the pictures of his proposed project being considered in SLAC. Fascinated, we got buried in the probabilities of a portable CT scan machine. It turns out he followed his mother's request after all. He may have not studied at Stanford but he eventually worked in it.

Pete, the youngest, interrupted our conversation and handed me a french fry. "Hey, Sam. Really curious, not that it is bad but why are you both talking?" He pointed at Tom and me who both shrugged our shoulders in response.

The oldest, Quinn, interjected. "What happened in the first place? And don't give us that 'nothing' shit. Pray tell." The girls who were sitting across from us, leaned forward waiting for the big reveal. My father crossed his arms, waiting, while my mother looked at us warmly.

As a close-knit family, we tend to share how our day went at the dinner table. When the girls joined us one evening after a noisy group study in World History, my high school drama was spilled out in the open. So, it's no wonder why they would be curious enough to ask what changed after all those years of obvious hate and apathy.

"What's the catch?" I asked mischievously. Tom chuckled and ate the ignored french fry on my hand. Roger our future Architect, handed me another fry. "I'll take you to that GSW game. I can still get good seats. My treat." I smiled, invitingly.

"I'll give you one of my tickets- lower level corner seats," Quinn added. They looked at Pete waiting for him to offer me anything. He shrugged his shoulders and leaned back in his seat. "I've got nothing, guys. I'm in senior high. I'm broke." Everybody laughed while Jam and Lou pinched his arm playfully.

"Sorry, guys. I beat you to it." Tom said. I showed them the envelope he gave me earlier at my graduation. He grinned in victory. "Courtside seats. So, any other tempting offers?" I asked enthusiastically. They groaned loudly.

"I'll give you $20." My dad roared. I looked at him in surprise. Ah, like father, like son(s). "Twenty dollars for the secret that everybody wants to know? Really, dad. No thanks." I laughed at him. He grunted and took a sip of his beer.

My mother looked at us peculiarly, "Have you met before high school?" The question threw me off, I consciously stared at my nails instead. Tom looked at my mother with uncertainty, "Why'd you think so Mrs. Dharts?"

"Oh, call me Emma. I think we're way past formality. I'm not sure. My instinct tells me that you two met before you were classmates in school. I wonder where and how though. It could be the arcade, park, library, the camp. Those were the only places I could think of." I searched for any kind of clues on my mother's face and I have found none. A hunch is an uneducated guess but that's troubling. Jam narrowed her eyes at me. I smiled calmly.

"Were our suspicions correct then? You two were a thing whose relationship ended sourly. Right?" Pete said in certainty. So, the famous speculation. We were ill-fated lovers that met and initiated the Dharts and Jacobs fanfare. The girls were scrutinizing me then Tom who still has a curious look on his face.

We were silent for a moment, lost in our own thoughts when Jam said, "Hey, you're not denying Pete. So is it or is it not?" Tom smiled deviously. "If we say no, would you believe us?" Jam shook her head. "See, so it's better to disregard the question." Quinn clicked his tongue in annoyance and stood up to pay the bill. Tom pulled out his wallet but my father told him off. Quinn lost the family roulette game the night before so he has the honor of paying for our delicious meal.

My parents and brothers went home ahead of us, while the gang and I went for some drinks at Batras, our favorite local pub. Lou and Jam were on their 3rd drink when I saw Will, a guy from our class alone at the bar. He was the guy I was hoping to introduce to our dancer. What great luck. I went and invited him over. Louise raised her brows as we walked back.

Introductions were made and Jam got a hint when I especially made Will sit beside our gorgeous best friend. They immediately got lost in their own world. Jam smiled at me with a thumbs up. I shrugged my shoulders in pride as Tom chuckled. On my second bottle, I was surprised when Mike came despite his busy night.

I was starting my fifth drink when Tom stopped me. "Hey, I'm not yet drunk."

"You will be after this," Tom said sternly. I pouted at him but he is right. I am already a bit tipsy.

Mike looked at him then at me. "Can you still drink, Sammy?" I grinned at him and nodded. He gave me back my beer. Jam, on the first phase of being drunk, stopped Tom as he was trying to pull the bottle away from me again. "Hey, I have a question. Indulge me, will you?" Tom sighed and pulled his hand away from my Corona.

Louise who was having an intimate conversation with Will looked at Jam. Mike leaned back in his seat, sipping his beer. "Tell me. Be honest. We know you two met before high school. Why? You were flustered when Sam's mom asked. It was obvious, dah-ling. You despised each other back then and you were both absent from each others college life. Then, voila. Sam graduated from college, you materialized and gave her yellow roses. -I felt Mike twitched- Then, this." She pointed at us.

"So, what's the question?" Tom said, a little bit irritated. Sensing his mood, I looked at Jam who was smoothing her raven midnight blue hair. "Why is this important, honey? Isn't it enough that we're good friends now after all those times?" Louise backed her up. "Don't tell me you're not curious, Sam. I know there are many question marks going around your head."

Jam eyed Tom and asked, "Why'd you show up unexpectedly? After all those years. That, Mr. Jacobs, is my question."