Scene 4 - The Supervisor

The lights appear back up. There is strange atmospheric music, with a purple background and a strange man sat in his chair and his head pointing down at the ground silently in a big spotlight, holding some book containing valuable information. The Prisoner then cautiously enters from stage left, carefully approaching from the back. The Supervisor still keeps his head down.

Supervisor:

At last, delighted to see you. Come in. Come in.

The Supervisor seems to be too friendly around the alert and uneasy Prisoner. Once he enters closer another spotlight shines over him too, with the strange atmospheric music.

Tea or coffee?

Prisoner:

Tea.

Supervisor:

Indian or China?

Prisoner:

Either, with lemon.

Supervisor:

Help yourself to toast. I suppose you're wondering what you're doing here.

Prisoner:

It had crossed my mind. What's it all about!

There is a long pause of silence. The Prisoner begins circling around the room.

Supervisor:

It's a question of your resignation.

Prisoner:

Go on.

Supervisor:

The information in your head is priceless. I don't think you realise how much of a valuable property you've become. A man like you is worth a great deal on the urban market.

Prisoner:

Who brought me here?

Supervisor:

I know how you feel, believe me. And they have taken quite a Liberty to you.

Prisoner:

Who are they?

Supervisor:

A lot of people are curious at what lies behind your resignation. You had a brilliant career; your record is impeccable. They want to know why you suddenly left.

Prisoner:

What people?

Supervisor:

Us. We always like to double check these things. Especially you. And I'm sure a man who knows as so much as you to do a double check does no harm.

Prisoner:

I don't know who you are, or who you work for. And I don't care. I'm leaving.

He tries to walk out, but then realizing that the blackness is no space.

Supervisor:

You can't. There is only us here in this very room. Look, I have here that there is something that you will find very interesting.

The Prisoner stays where he is standing, whilst the Supervisor explores through the book.

Like do you remember that time you were trapped in the flooding submarine? Good thing you had that knife with you. Able to cut your way out of that one before you drowned. Or the time you had that appointment to meet Chambers. Nice guy Chambers. Shame he fell on the wrong side of the law. Something you didn't feel right and you dove for cover. Here, help yourself.

Disgusted by the information, The Prisoner keeps digging and digging through, page after page after page.

You see there isn't really much we don't know about you. As I said one likes to know everything. For instance, I didn't know you liked lemon tea.

The Prisoner:

The time of my birth is missing.

Supervisor:

Well there you are. Now let's bring it all up to speed.

The Prisoner:

12:50PM, 19th March 1980. I've nothing to say, is that clear.

He pushes the book back at him.

Absolutely nothing.

Supervisor:

Oh be reasonable old boy. It's just a matter of time. Sooner or later you will. Sooner or later you'll want to. Let's make a deal, you co-operate and tell us everything we want to know, this can be a very nice place. You may even be given a position of authority.

The Prisoner:

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned! I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!

Supervisor:

Is it?

The Prisoner:

Yes. You won't hold me!

He tries to leave but then is stopped when the Supervisor says...

Supervisor:

And that piece of paper. The paper you stole.

The Prisoner:

What?

Supervisor:

Yes. Is that why you resigned? Stealing a formula from the Black Archive and giving it into the wrong hands. Turned traitor? Now why would a man with a record so clean as yours want to suddenly turn traitor?

He goes through the book, as the Prisoner stares angrily at him.

Leaving for a holiday? On your salary, you could easily leave. Selling the formula for millions. You would never have to work again. Come, show me the paper.

The Prisoner:

Never!

The Supervisor:

Why? Because you know that I'm right, don't you? Now of course we could hand you straight over to the authorities. But as a matter of fact, I think it seems like we've done you a favour. If we hadn't, they would be after you. And then you run. But they would eventually catch up with you. Fortunately for you, we may have captured you just in time.

The Prisoner:

And that gives you the right to poke your nose into my private business!

The Supervisor:

We only want to understand.

The Prisoner:

Well whoever you and your superiors are, I don't care. I said I'm leaving.

The Supervisor:

Oh you know, this place might start to grow on you after a while. Be seeing you!

He exits out stage left.

He'll listen to us. Eventually.