Scene 1 - Settling Down

The stage's light is naturally lit. A family of four is sat stage right, the seats leaning and facing into the audience, so we can see them. The boy is sat on the end, closest to the wings. His older sister is about to sit next, then his mother, then his father. The bully. An aggressive man, holding his precious packet of peanuts. They rush down to grab their seats, preparing to watch some form of entertainment. As they rush from stage right, they dash around.

Dad:

Alright, everyone. Settle down, settle down. Now, everyone, we're ready to start.

Marcus:

Can I have a peanut now dad?

Dad:

Shut up and pay attention!

Marcus:

All I asked for was some measly peanut.

Mum:

Now, don't be so rude to your father Marcus.

Sofia:

Yeah Marcus!

Dad:

Now the presentation is about to commence. Everybody sitting comfortably? The show is about to start. And fetch me a baloney sandwich there, boy!

Marcus turns over into the wings to try and find the box that is behind it.

Marcus:

Uh oh!

Dad:

Don't tell me you forgot to bring the baloney sandwiches! I want my baloney sandwich now!

Mum:

Sssh! It's starting!

The lights dim around them. There is a massive spotlight in the centre. The Prisoner runs in, he begins dashing around, miming his actions as he appears like he is packing for something in this tiny space. He carefully holds a piece of paper in his hands, an ordinary piece of paper, with vital information. A sound effect of gas echoes across the room, he stops and looks directly into the audience, realizing what is happening – he is being gassed. His eyes begin closing, before eventually he suddenly drops to the floor, unconscious.

Marcus:

The dude died.

Dad:

You watch your mouth you little smart arse!