Chapter 25

I can't tell Jack. It's as clear as ever. I can't risk Ryan's safety although he seems like he doesn't care and I might not see him again. And although I'm not going to tell him, I won't lie either.

But... there is a pro in all of this! I think I could still be with him.

Or maybe I shouldn't....

But I can't stay away...

You can find a way Katherine...

He will probably be okay with me not telling him

Who are you trying to kid? You keeping secrets from him, he won't ever be okay with it

This debate in my head is getting so tiring and the worst bit is that it's been going on for 2 days, non-stop. I think my brain is starting to fail itself.

Maybe I'm dying.

Or maybeeeeee It's my lack of sleep and this mornings disgusting breakfast.

Yep, probably that.

So after 2 days of discussions, I think- I mean- I know I'm going to be with him. I've stopped debating it for a moment but it will last. How? I'll talk to him right now.

"Jack, wait up" I run to him through the crowd of students walking out for their break.

He doesn't stop so I grab his arm and turn him around.

Ugh the butterflies

He's finally facing me, looking at me in my eyes. But there is no emotion in his.

"I... um" My hands find each other behind my back and I keep moving them, trying to hide my nerves.

"I need to talk to you" I manage to spit out but he doesn't move.

"So talk" He replies bluntly. I swear I never knew his face could be this intimidating. He doesn't seem like himself but then again, I'm not really the one to talk.

"I mean privately , It's important" I signal the people passing by and talking. No way are we having this conversation here.

He doesn't change expression. He stands still and doesn't move, I wonder if he heard me or if he just doesn't want to go.

I'm guessing the second one.

"Please" I beg slightly and his eyes find mine once again "You won't regret it, I really really need to tell you something"

He bites his lip before he gives me an indecisive nod from which I have to contain myself from not getting over excited. I give him a small smile and he follows me.

He seems surprised as I stop outside of the science door and take the keys out of my pocket. Soon followed by me stepping inside.

"Don't worry, I asked Mrs Rogers for it, to do some studying" I clarify

He takes a seat on one of the high tables while I stand up facing him.

"Spill" I stop walking up and down the gap between the tables and look at him.

"You see, I can't tell you the whole thing, the whole story. But I can try to explain as much as possible without putting us in danger" He sighs and nods as if to let me continue.

"I went to that appointment where I was supposed to be tagged-"

"What do you mean supposed to be tagged ?" He asks and his filter seems to vanish. He suddenly shows slight anger and curiosity as he leans in, as if examining me like an insect.

"Bear with me" I say slowly and he shifts his position back to how it was before

"So I went there and lets just say something happened "My way of summarising that:

He got shot, doctors went to save him while Ryan changed my injections so they thought they were tagging me when truly they weren't and I was untagged all along.

So yeah, better not to tell him that bit.

"Something happened? What do you mean something happened ?" Again with the leaning in closer and examining me. Again with the curiosity. And again with those questions I don't need to be asked.

"Now that is the bit I can't tell you" I say and he sighs again, while combing his hair with his fingers and eventually nodding.

"So that 'something' happened and I ended up tricking the doctors and being saved" That catches his attention and he looks at me

"What do you mean being saved? By who? Or by yourself? And what the hell happened? What does this have to do with me?" His mind seems to be bombarded with questions but honestly, I can't blame him. I would be stressed and confused if it happened to me. I'm kind of confusing him a lot.

"I can't tell you , I can't tell you, I can't tell you, I can't tell you and I can tell you but I don't want to" Yep, that was me answering and not answering every single one of his questions.

"I knew there would have to be something you didn't tell me, I just knew it." He stands up and starts pacing around the corridor on the side of the room with his hand over his face as he sighs in frustration.

He finally stops and looks at me.

"I seriously don't understand you Katherine, you are confusing me and you are acting weird and honestly I don't have time for this right now-"

"I still feel things!" I scream and he looks at me again, stepping closer.

"I still feel things" I say softer now but the intensity in his eyes doesn't change.

" And I want to tell you everything, the truth but I can't and I can't tell you why. I'm sorry but I can't" I explain

"What matters isn't the why Jack, it's the facts. And the fact is that I feel this" I gesture between us and look at him with the truth in my eyes.

I feel like pretending was just as bad as being tagged because I swear I almost felt my own 'careless, tagged' feature wipe straight off my face and be replaced with the real me that wanted to be with Jack, the me that felt, the me that wanted love even if it meant danger, the real me.

Now I was just hoping that the real me was enough for him.

*Thank you for reading guys! I'm so grateful to all those who read, vote and I'm really excited to see what you think in the comments! Please vote and let me know what you think!*