Chapter 31

"I'm guessing your Kath?" I nodded and replied with a short yes.

"So, who is he?" I hear his low voice on the other side of the phone.

"He's Jack but you already know that?" It sounds more like a question as I wait for an explanation but Ryan waits for mine. I decide to continue.

"He's my boyfriend I guess?" I say unsurely cause we aren't technically official. We can't ever be.

"You sound so unsure" He seems to read my mind

"Well, we aren't official cause we can't be. Technically I'm paired to a guy called Paul, I am 'officially' going out with him" I explain

"But being official doesn't mean anything, like you have explained in Paul's scenario"he pauses for a moment "What does Jack mean in your heart?"

The question makes me think, leaving about 2 minutes of silence between Ryan and me but he doesn't hang up. I don't really know what to think. By what I know I love Jack. I don't have much experience with love but I love him. I loved my parents and this kind of felt the same. I love Andrea and I feel the same with Jack. That does mean I love him right? But then again, I might be totally clueless.

"I guess I love him... To me he's my boyfriend but then again I don't know much about love, do I?" I chuckle "But I know enough to understand that what I feel for him is real"

I hear him sigh on the other line, a gesture I don't clearly understand.

"Yeah, you probably do. It's probably love just..." He shies and stops for a moment as if thinking carefully about what to say "Be careful" He sounds as if it's like me standing next to a cliff. I don't clearly understand what he truly means.

"Anyway, on another note, how do you know him?" I ask curiously, also changing the subject to my own curiosity because I doubt he would tell me what he was warning me to be careful about.

"James, you know..." he clicked his fingers as if trying to explain who he was "Um..." he hums while he thinks "Oh yeah, I got it..." he sighs "Jack's, like guardian, yeah, that's it" He raises his voice and I smile at his way of expression. It struck me as kind of cute in comparisonto his stern personality. "He wanted us to sort out a few society things. You know, just simple stuff. Safety and all. Cause I'm new to them, they didn't know I was free"

"Wait a minute, free? What does that mean?" I ask.

"Free is used as the term untagged between us. We can't exactly call each other like the society does" He chuckles, I nod and sigh.

"Yeah" I say softly "Free sounds much better" I think about the fact that we all seem gone, we all seem destroyed. Although we might be free to know the truth, we can't do anything about it, we remain silent. Like a boat floating in a still lake. No movement. No change. There can be gold in that boat but it's useless in there. It will sink unnoticed.

"You sound sad" I smile at his purity. He seemed so honest and kind. His choice of words are refreshing in this cold and boring world.

"Yeah... Well I'm just confused. There's a lot going on. I'm meeting with Paul soon and I'm going on the MBA tour. I seriously don't want to be on the cover of the major magazine of the dome" I laugh.

"I didn't know you were a model"

"Yeah that's cause I personally prefer it to be kept quiet but then again, If they accept me at MBA it's all gone. It's a boarding academy. It won't be as easy to just hide" I try to explain myself. It's hard because I've never been able to be honest and now I've got two people that might understand me.

"Don't worry- you'll make it. You'll be okay" He seems determined to get me to believe that I will live but that isn't the only thing that worries me anymore. What if I live a long life but die unnoticed? Die like any of them. Living a 'society perfect life'. I don't want that. As much as I feel, it's useless to know the truth if it's only me and 2 guys that don't do anything. We seem like cowards. We aren't helping. Kids are loosing their choice from birth. We are getting tagged and located and people don't even know that the society knows every single step they take, we take.

"Yeah I guess. It's not that I'm worried about though" Before he can answer I speak.

"Anyway, goodnight Ryan, thanks for the chat and thanks for forgetting about that discussion the other night" I smile although he can't see.

"What discussion? Don't remember that. I've forgotten all about it." He and I laugh at his terrible joke. But somehow, the terrible ones are the best. "Goodnight Kath, sleep well, we will talk soon" We hang up and I place my phone carefully on the bedside table.

I never realized how kind Ryan had been. How happy he is. How he seems to make the best choices, logical and likable. He's also so companionate. I still have loads of questions though. Like how and why he saved me. How he knew my name. I was curious about him. I think he was just as curious about me though.

I feel weird leaving Jack and I like that. Those texts and calls unanswered. How I haven't yet told him how Ryan saved me, how he knew my name. How he was there when he wasn't.

I feel the need to find out more, more about everything. The society, MBA, why Ryan told me to be careful of Jack. Why Jack is so secretive. I feel like I can't trust him anymore.

Because how can I trust someone who might have been keeping secrets from me all along?

*I hope you liked this chapter... let me know what you think in the comments. I usually re read each chapter to avoid spelling mistakes and readjust a few things but the story line will never change. The action is starting to begin! Thanks for reading!*