3. /Some Crush/

The sweet rule in Birningabas that is pleasing to the lower sect is when a person is unable to fit in with the sect which their parents belonged to in the past, then they'd have to come down to the sect they could afford. There's nothing like inheritance. Everyone had to work for their wealth. Except the Royals who got almost everything on a gold platter. There were many people who were not able to keep up with their sect; they had to come down to the level they could manage. A perfect example is Hanan's family. Her father used to be in the higher middle class. When he retired, he had to come down to the lower middle class since he wasn't earning as much as he used to before. Maleeka had always learnt how to cut her coat according to her size. She always knew the type of people she had to hang out with. She didn't want to be looked down at. 
     Children from the higher sect believed they were better than anyone lower than them. They forget they'd have to work hard to earn their own money; they forget they only got lucky because their parents are rich. The males who didn't study hard to make a living for themselves end up being their parents' puppet, while the females get married to the highest bidder so they wouldn't have to go to a lower sect. Sad, isn't it? Azeema peered at herself on the vanity dissatisfaction displayed on her features as she creased her eyebrows examining God knows what. This was the 5th boubou she had changed into. Maleeka rolled her eyes because she knew Azeema was about to strip again. It's already been 30 minutes since her mother had requested her presence. But Azeema is so engrossed in looking pretty than attending to her mother. Maleeka would jump at the sound of her mother just to show respect and because her mother was all she had. 
     "I'm not feeling this one. I want to look as pretty as you" Azeema commented, making Maleeka rolls her eyes for the umpteenth time. 
     "Azeema you looked pretty in all these boubou you dumped there, besides aren't you going to answer your mother's call?" Maleeka enquired, hoping to remind her in case she had forgotten. 
     "Whatever she wants, she'll get. She's the Queen for crying out loud! I hate this one. It's making me look fatter" she said, stripping out of the boubou irritatingly.  Maleeka sighed! Were they ever going to go out? If Azeema keeps this up, they would probably have to go out next year. 
     "I've got an idea! Let's switch. You wear any of these boubou and you give me yours" Azeema squealed, making Maleeka choke on air. 
     "I need something more fitting! I'm chubbier than you, wearing yours would reveal my shape. Manage one of mine please?" Azeema pouted, batting her lashes. Maleeka became tongue tied. Her heart constricted a little. She was starting to get irritated by this absurd idea. They were the same freaking size!
     "You're really ungrateful! I don't know what you see in this ordinary gown that you won't let me be" Maleeka protested starting to strip. 
     "Yeah yeah yeah! Just give me the cloth. Pick out any one of your choice" Azeema retorted, stretching her hands eagerly to collect the gown, while using her left hand to point at her wardrobe. Maleeka angrily shoved the boubou at Azeema who was either too happy to notice her angered and irritated expression or didn't care about displeasing other people for her own happiness. Maleeka irritatingly grabbed a Navy blue boubou adorned with shiny stones. She wore it dejectedly and picked up the veil from its hanger. Azeema squealed happily, she did look pretty in Maleeka's boubou the same way she looked in all the other ones she dumped. For some reason she believed she looked better in Maleeka's. This was what made Maleeka have more male friends than females. They all had a way of making her feel they had to compete with her, innocently or intentionally.Trailing behind Azeema who chinned up and walked like a princess she is to Queen FatimaZahra's chambers. It felt as if Maleeka was entering a cozy cave. Though the sun hadn't gone down completely, for some reason it is stark dark. She shuddered before sliding off her shoes. When her feet met with the lush rug, she relaxed a little. She took 4 steps and stopped. She didn't want to hit her leg on a chair or table or anything for that matter. 
     "Mother, why’d you turn off the lights?" she heard Azeema say. Azeema would know her way into her mother's chambers. Maleeka squinted when the lights came up. Everything looked breathtaking! Everything in the chamber looked either white or golden. It is the definition of Royalty. Clamping her lips before she gets caught gawking, she moved further into the innermost part where she was sure Azeema had gone. Queen Fatima Zahra is the 3rd most likable person in the household to Maleeka. She is friends with Maleeka's mother. When Maleeka's father met with her mother, he wasn't rich enough to actually own a wife. Even when Sarki Uwaisu had intended to help, Maleeka's father refused to accept any help. He wanted to get himself married; with his sweat; with his strength; and his money. Along the way, he met Fatima Zahra, when his wife introduced her to him as one of her close friends. Immediately he saw her, he knew she would be Sarki Uwaisu's perfect match. Queen Fatima Zahra got married to Sarki Uwaisu a little long before Maleeka's father could raise enough money to marry her mother. Queen Fatima Zahra is forever grateful to Sa'eed for giving her the love of her life. That is why she loved his daughter Maleeka. She loved having her when they were little. 
     "Mother, did she upset you again?" Azeema asked, patting her mother.  The older woman nodded before bursting into fresh tears. 
     "I told you to talk back to her. Respect is earned and reciprocal. You can't continue to act as if ignoring her and crying your heart out would make things any better" Azeema added, sighing. It was surprising for Maleeka to hear Azeema being sensible. Moments ago she wanted to choke her and now, she wanted to pat her back well-done. "Why haven't you told father?" Azeema said slowly. 
     "If he doesn't know by now, then he's pretty dumb" Queen FatimaZarah said chuckling and Azeema joined. Maleeka knew they were talking about the dreaded Queen Mother, Sarki Uwaisu's mother. Her father must have stated a thing or two about that. Maleeka smiled too. She quickly realized she was eavesdropping on a mother and child conversation. She started to tip toe away. She would go back to the outer part of the chamber and make herself comfortable until they were through; she wasn't supposed to be hearing this. It was none of her business. It actually baffled her that the rich did cry. 
     "Was Yarima there when she disrespected you?" Azeema inquired again. For some reason, Maleeka's legs wouldn't move upon hearing Yarima being mentioned. She didn't know why she wanted to hear the answer. 
     "Stating the obvious, are we? I don't want to think about him. Let me shed my tears of frustration away" Queen Fatima Zahra said, chuckling sadly. She always knew how to make matters lighter. She would be hurting inside, yet she'd plaster an assuring smile to people who needed it. 
     "Come back here Maleeka, I know you've been standing here. How are you?" Queen Fatima Zahra said seeing Maleeka was about to tiptoe away, obviously hearing what she wanted to hear. 
     "I didn't want to intrude that's why I decided to go back" she blurted, turning crimson. Queen Fatima Zahra begged Maleeka for discretion. Then she commented on how pretty she had looked in Azeema's boubou, Azeema threw a tantrum about not being acknowledged in what she felt was a killer boubou. On their way to the parking lot, they met up with Azeem who wanted to tag along. 
     "Maleeka, is there a new joint? I don't want to go to the other one. It's becoming quite annoying having to eat the same thing over and over again" Azeema complained, picking up her Matte powder to do another touch up on her already perfect face. 
     "Yes there is. That's where most university students go to now" Maleeka answered, scratching her head absentmindedly. Azeem was peering at her with so much interest and amusement. She looked so much like Azeema, Just a fairer and slimmer version of Azeema. She could even pass for a sibling of theirs. They always knew her father looked like Sarki. It was an uncanny resemblance. Most people believed that had strengthened their bond. A strand of her hair came undone, dropping on her shoulders as she absentmindedly scratched her hair. He felt his heart tug at the sight. He suddenly felt a pull to run his hands in her hair. She pouted frustratingly and tucked it back in. 
     "Are we safe?" he said, gesturing to her head. She started laughing. Just watching her smile made his heart flutter. 
     "I've used every dandruff shampoo in Birningabas, it's frustrating. I'm considering shaving it" she said, adjusting the veil on her head. 
     "I have one, I could bring it to your house tomorrow" Azeem heard himself suggest. 
     "Alright then" she replied, smiling at him. He had no idea why he suddenly wanted to see that smile plastered on her face. Why was he noticing it now? 
Why was he attracted to her? It's just the same old Maleeka. Azeema cat walked to and fro when they got to the mart. She loved how she was being acknowledged by young girls and boys. She loved how girls clung onto their boyfriends on seeing her. She loved the attention she was getting. She loved how the guards followed her around earning her more attention. She made up her mind never to return this boubou back to Maleeka. She'll simply give her 5 from the ones she has. They ordered ice-cream and had a shopping spree.
     "Move closer, let's take a picture," she said to Maleeka. Maleeka didn't want to be seen on Azeema's page. She'd been stalked in school, so she ignored her. Azeema, being the persistent girl she is, grabbed her and took several shots. Most of the pictures had Maleeka frowning, with Azeema beaming happily. She picked out the best 2 she looked really good in and posted them on IG and every other platform she was active on. Moments later her phone started pinging with notifications. Judging by how she beamed happily when she picked it up, it is obvious people was praising her. 
....
     "I'll drive you home" Azeem suggested when they got back. Her father had left since. He was informed she went out with the twins, so he wasn't disturbed. Azeema was trying out the new turbans she got from the mart. She would have the Royal tailor imprint bead works on her turbans, capes and straight skirt she had gotten from the mart. She bought a few for Maleeka who didn't want to accept the gift. 
     "Yeah let's go!" Maleeka states noticing Azeema wasn't about to leave the vanity and come see her off. Out of frustration, she dropped everything Azeema got for her. She felt as if the gifts would serve as her payment for spending time with them. 
     "Buckle up!" Azeem said turning the ignition, she looked out the window hoping Azeema would show up and bid her farewell. There was a time they used to be close. Things changed when they grew up. It was quite frustrating. She winded up the window and sighed softly making Azeem look at her dreamily. 
    "Maleeka!" they heard someone yell as they drove away from the parking lot. Azeem parked and waited for whoever was yelling through the night. 
    "Are you crazy? Why'd you leave them here? It's my gift for you, for being a sweet friend" Azeema said breathlessly. Maleeka couldn't help but smile. 
     "Now I'll need a bath for jogging after you. Come down and give me a hug" Azeema shrieked. Maleeka came down from the car and gave Azeema a hug. She knew Azeema had issues. She had issues too. She just prays Azeema doesn't hurt her again as she had done in the past. She prayed silently that Azeema is back to the sweet little girl she used to play with. 
    "Yarima, Maleeka is leaving" Azeema squealed when she saw her elder brother taking a night stroll with his phone glued to his face. With no emotions whatsoever, he looked at her demeaningly. Down to the paper bags Azeema had given her just now. Maleeka wished she had left them in the car when she came out to hug Azeema. She didn't know why she felt she had to impress him. 
     "You obviously got what you came for" he stated looking straight into her eyes then back to the paper bag. He rolled his and hissed irritatingly, then strolled away. 
      "Ignore him. He's a sadist. I will come and see you tomorrow with Azeem. Be prepared to host me" Azeema said, kissing her cheeks. She shoved her into the car so she could go give her elder brother a piece of her mind for talking to poor Maleeka that way. A tear escaped her eyes. Yet again, he had managed to make her feel worthless; he had managed to make her feel poor; he had managed to point out how wretched she is. 
She breathed in deeply!