8. /The Truth/

When Maleeka woke up the next day, she found the house empty. Every furniture, utensils and household objects they owned were all out of sight. She knew the conditioning had everything to do with whatever happened to their household objects. She hissed angrily and went in search of her parents who seemed to have vanished too. Three maids bowed down quickly sensing her presence. Maleeka ignored them and went to her parent's room. Her father was seated on a bench. Their bed was nowhere in sight.

"You're awake!" her mother squeaked immediately when she saw Maleeka. She had noticed Maleeka's angry face.

"What is going on? It's not like I accepted the conditioning. Doesn't my opinion matter?" she questioned her father. He shook his head slowly.

"All our property has been given out to charity. We'll be occupying a house in the council's quarters. Sarki has also asked for you to make a wish. Well, anything other than not marrying his son. He promises to grant you that wish" her father said standing up. Reality dawned on Maleeka. There was no way out. The earlier she starts believing it, the better for her. A tear slid down her cheeks. She wiped it away angrily and went back to her room just to find maids and guards ransacking the room, moving things and throwing stuff around. She swallowed a lump that was threatening to choke her.

"Your Grace, here's a new set of clothes for you to wear. You'll be leaving for the new house if you please" she said bowing. Maleeka could only nod.

"Where's my phone?" she asked the maid who had given her the clothes, seeing the others were busy packing up things here and there.

"A new phone has been arranged. Your contacts have been transferred to it. But I'm afraid none of the old pictures or songs could be transferred. You'll have to create new memories and re-download whatever you want" the maid said, leaving the room. She signaled Maleeka to follow her, which she did. Maleeka almost screamed when the maid led her to her parent's room which was vacant, and started undressing her.

"No no no, get out. I can dress myself young lady" Maleeka chanted tapping her feet impatiently.

"Your Grace, I'm just following protocol. I'm not allowed to let you do anything." the maid complained, standing her ground. She wasn’t taking no for an answer. In fact, she wasn’t moving.

"Could you at least let me dress myself for the last time?" After much deliberation, the maid left her to it. Just as Maleeka hooked her bra, the maid barged in with a new phone.

"I'm starting to think you can't wait to see my nudity!" Maleeka yelled frustratingly, tying a wrapper round her quickly. She snatched the phone away from the maid and placed it on her ear. Then she shooed the maid away.

"I've called you for like forever your highness"

"Ugh! Please don't. I'm not having a good day today. I'll be so happy if you don't add to my issues Azeema!" Maleeka snapped. She could recognize any voice, even if it were in her sleep. Azeema laughed a little. She was also having a hard time believing everything that has been happening, Azeema believed it served her brother right but on the other hand she pouted her poor friend who would have to put up with him.

"How are you holding up?" Azeema asked. If someone should walk in on that conversation they would think she was offering her condolences to someone.

"I am really stressed out. Could you believe we are moving to the council quarters?" Maleeka asked. She needed someone to share her grief with.

"Yeah, I know Ice cream in my room by 4pm. You've got to let everything out. Keeping it in will only make it worse. I'm inviting Azeem. Right now we are all you need" Maleeka thanked Azeema and ended the call. She muted her phone. Until she gets all this out of her system, she wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. Not even her friend Hanan.