9. /Longer Route/

60 years ago.

She walked faster looking back on several occasions hoping no one saw her leaving home. She had to see him. The news she heard was heartbreaking. She needed to confirm it. She had turned the kerosene lantern down so it wasn't noticeable in the darkness. There was a moon today. The night was pitching black just like her broken heart. On getting to the mango tree where she had arranged the meeting with him, she saw two figures. One held a thick long stick, as if placing his weight on it, while the other had a sword and a knife. She knew immediately it was her Yarima and his trusted guard.

"Adama?" he had asked when he noticed her short figure. He quickly hugged her when she confirmed it was her.

"Yarima, What I'm I hearing? Is it true? Didn't you tell him about us?" she cried as she ran into his welcoming arms dropping the lantern. She inhaled his scent deeply. The incense used on his clothes always came from unique ones made from outside Birnin-Gabas. There’s always this calming feeling that came with inhaling it.

While running an errand for her mother because she had a free working day today, she's a palace maid you see. The town crier was busy announcing the terms Yarima's father had placed on him if he wanted to succeed his father.  It was displeasing to her ears. She had been crying throughout the day. She had no appetite to eat food. Hearing about Yarima's marriage to someone else really frustrated her today. She sent him a message so they'd meet at their usual spot in the depth of the night.

"I told him about us. He forbade me! He said never to mention you Adama. I don't know what I'd do without you" he said, squeezing her as he sniffed too. He was trying really hard not to be a sissy. It’s taking everything in him not to break down and cry his eyes out. Adama is his world. She works in the kitchen, and she’s always the one to serve him whenever the maid in charge is indisposed. He had fallen in love with her from the very first day he had laid his eyes on her. Everything about Adama entices him.  When his father came up with the conditioning, he attached his faith to a very rich man's daughter and when he had brought up Adama, his father warned him to stay away from her. Never to mention her, and makes sure to breaks all ties with her.

"Yarima, we have to go. I wouldn't want your father finding out you're not at home" The guard said hastily.  Yarima nodded. He didn't want his guard to be dealt with because of his own mistakes.

"Promise me you'll come to the palace tomorrow" Yarima said cupping her cheeks wiping away her tears. It broke his heart so much to see her crying.

"I promise," she replied. The next day, Adama discreetly went to the palace. She hoped Sarki hadn't asked the guards not to let her in. When she entered successfully, she knew Sarki wasn't on her case yet. She helped in the kitchen preparing meals for the royal family. Fortunately the maid who normally served Yarima had the flu so she was sent home. Destiny played it's part as Adama got assigned to serve Yarima's lunch. Her joy knew no bounds. She picked up the tray and graciously walked to his chambers.

"I thought I told you all to leave me alone," Yarima yelled when she announced her presence.

"It's Adama, your highness," she said a bit louder. He flung the doors open quickly relieving her of the stress of carrying the tray of food. He embraced her tightly.

"I prayed you'd come" he stated grinning like the love struck guy he is. "Hope you know you aren't going back now? You could simply tell the head kitchen maid I had you do some work for me" he added holding her hands. Adama smiled lovingly at him. Yarima made loving him so easy. He comes up with the best ideas. After eating lunch together, they talked about almost everything deliberately avoiding Sarki's warning. After beating around the bush, Yarima brought it up. After contemplating for a while, he decided to inform her about his plans.