My Alpha's Mate

Isaac’s POV

I winced when I was thrown against a column for the up tenth time. By now, every muscle and bone in my body protested and throbbed. If I was human, this would’ve killed me. But Derek just kept repeating the same word over and over and over.

“Again!”

My hope for a well-deserved break faltered as a groan escaped my throat. How much more of this before he realized that he was wearing us out? And why was Boyd not training with us? He’s only sitting there, grinning every time Erica and I had our asses handed to us. I didn’t see the logic in that. He’s the biggest of us all, he has the best chance at fighting while speed was more my thing. I personally felt that Derek should focus more on Boyd and stop beating the hell out of me for a change.

I pushed up on my elbows for another round of misery, but Erica’s figure up in the rafters caught my eyes - and apparently Derek’s too. Before she could get the upper hand and jump him from above, he grabbed her mid-air and hurled her at me. I was just fast enough to roll out of the way to avoid her falling on me.

“Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?" He challenged, clearly bored beyond his mind. Damn, he’s hardly broken a sweat while I needed at least four showers.

As he turned his back on us, Erica was filled with new confidence. I watched in shock as she jumped to her feet and flung herself at Derek, wrapping her legs around his waist and attacking his lips with hers. However, her attempt to beating him or get something on with him - I couldn’t tell, lasted only about ten seconds. He tore her off him and tossed her carelessly to the concrete floor next to me.

Derek wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and glared at her with fire in his gaze, “That's the last time you do that."

“Why?” Erica challenged and pushed herself up on her elbows, “Because I’m a beta?”

“No, because I have someone else in mind for you."

“And because he’s not over Riley yet.” The words spilt out of my mouth before I could stop them. He turned his head to give me a cold look that immediately scared me into submission. I swallowed and changed the subject, “Are we done? I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

His face lost all emotion before he extended a hand towards me, “Come here.”

However, I was stupid enough to fall for it. I barely accepted his ‘help’ before his hand enclosed around mine. Pins and needles shot up my arm when he clenched his fist around me and crushed every single bone in my hand. I winced and sucked back the agonizing cry that threatened to escape my mouth.

“Make that a hundred and one. Or more. I’m not counting.” He seethed at me, “You think I'm teaching you how to fight?! Huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!"

My breath came out in heavy wheezes once he let me go and paced across the abandoned subway. Erica was shivering at his outburst and even Boyd’s grin was wiped off his face. I clutched my hand in grief and felt it slowly healing, “If they wanted us dead why aren't they coming for us now? What are they waiting for?"

“I don’t know.” Derek stressed, “But they're planning something. And you, especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you."

If that meant more training, I had to start thinking of ways to bribe Boyd to take my place. I heard he wasn’t cheap.

“Is Riley a problem?”