CHAPTER III: "HOW COULD I FORGET YOU"

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━━━━━

"You are the peace I crave in this chaotic world"

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━━━━━

THE RAIN FELL ALMOST POETICALLY AS IF IT WAS THE true perpetrator and the reason the Hargreaves had lined up outside. Leighton stood in between Diego and Klaus. Wayward breaths escaping her shivering body, she had refused an umbrella on account on the fact that Diego had also refused one.

So here she was at a funeral in the rain donned in her pink Hello Kitty jacket and her soaking converse. She glanced up curiously at the cancer stick that Klaus had inserted into his mouth, he looked down to her, before removing it and offering to the young girl.

The redhead approached the stick cautiously before mimicking the elder man and sticking it in her mouth only for Diego to snack it away. He turned to his brother his eyes narrowed into ferocious slits "What the hell, dude! She's thirteen."

Klaus didn't seem to care and gave a lazy shrug in response, ignoring his brother while pulling a face at Leighton who giggled in response. Satisfied with his response he let a small smile play on his lips, he seemingly turned to the air around him and spoke "I know she's adorable- no we can't kidnap her-"

Leighton looked curiously at the woman stood at her caretakers other side watching curiously as she conversed with Diego and his siblings "Did something happen?" The woman asked cluelessly

"Bill cipher took him." Leighton chirped unaware of the looks that were thrown around at the young girls interpretation of death. Diego made a mental note to stop her watching Gravity Falls for a while.

Pogo, the family chimpanzee walked to the 'oldest' member of the family holding their father's ashes and placing them in his abnormally large hands "Whenever you're ready, dear boy."

The freckled tweens jaw dropped as her irises twinkled "He's a monkey!" She whispered to Diego, pure amazement dripping from her mouth like honey. Diego chuckled before realising where he was and reverted his face back to it's solemn expression.

"In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreaves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master, and my friend. And I shall miss him very much. He leaves behind a complicated legacy-"

Pogo's speech was interrupted by Diego "He was a monster." Silence ensured besides Klaus who let out a boisterous laugh seemingly enjoying himself. "He was a bad person and an even worse father. The world's better off without him."

"Shit." Leighton piped up using her new word from today although she was fairly certain from the looks she received from Allison and Luther it wasn't appropriate. Diego beamed at the young girl pointing towards her "That's right Lei, he was a piece of shit!"

"Diego-" Allison futilely attempted to calm Number Two down but he whipped around to her. His chocolate brown filled with such fury it rendered her speechless "My name is Number Two. You wanna know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had mom do it."

Absently Grace spoke up, her motherly smile on her face "Would any of you like something to eat?"

Leighton perked up at the prospect of food "Yea-"

"No it's okay, Mom" The redhead glared weakly at the Vanya who didn't seem to notice. However Five who had somehow placed himself in Diego's spot chuckled.

He inclined closer to her smiling slightly upon noticing her relief. She glanced up at the umbrella he had placed above her and sent him a grateful smile to which he returned.

Luther's gaze turned hard as he stared at Diego "You should stop talking now." Leighton frowned, her lips tugging down as she mumbled under her breath "That's not very nice."

Diego turned his venom towards the bulkily built man "You know, you of all people should be on my side here.. Number One."

"I am warning you-"

"After everything he did to you" Diego continued ignoring his brother's warnings "He has to ship you a million miles away-"

"Diego stop-"

"-That's how much he hated the sight of you!" Diego's words got him the recipient of Luther's simmering fury. Leighton gasped at the sight of her friend getting punched "That's definitely not nice!"

Five wrapped an arm around her waist and slowly placed her behind his figure, trying in vain to protect her. Klaus threw an arm out in front on the two thirteen year olds only for it to be swatted away by an agitated Five. Klaus turned around staring indecorously at the time traveler "It wasn't for you"

The brunette boy rolled his eyes and unconsciously intertwined his and Leighton's fingers "We don't have time for this."

Leighton's head lolled to the side as he pulled her into the warm house

We?

"WHERE'S VANYA?" ALLISON QUESTIONED AS SHE WALKED into the kitchen. Five had raided the presses leaving them unopened in his incessant journey for coffee. Leighton sat, wearing one of fives suits due to the fact that her clothes were soaked and Five practically forced them onto her claiming she would get sick (plus Allison's and Vanya's old clothes had been discarded.)

Klaus sat on the chair strumming his guitar "Oh. She's gone."

"That's unfortunate" Five grumbled taking a look at the empty coffee pot his fingers had grasped in desperation "An entire square block, forty-two bedrooms, nineteen bathrooms, and not a single drop of coffee."

Allison stood behind Leighton her hand running through her curly pixie cut hair "Dad hated caffeine." Klaus released a bitter snort "Well he hated children too, and he had plenty of us."

Silence followed before Five placed his hands into his pockets "I'm taking the car."
Klaus turned to face the smaller boy a mix of amusements and surprise showing in his red rimmed orbs "Where are you going?"

"To get a decent cup of coffee. Do you want to come Lo-Lei?" The redhead bit her lip, ignoring the metallic taste the spurted from them "Yeah. But my bedtime is seven 'o' clock" She muttered softly

Five chuckled grabbing the car keys in one hand and her arm in another "I'll get you back before your bedtime don't worry."

And with that they were gone.

STATIC FILLED THE SILENT CAR, LEIGHTON PLAYED WITH HER FINGERS glancing at the boy curiously. Five sensed the redhead's stares

"Leighton?"

Her mouth parted as she eyed the boy next to her with great curiosity "How do you know my name?"

Five's jaw clenched, his dark irises flickering to the ring that sat on his finger before looking at the girl sat next to him

"How could I forget it when it belongs to someone like you?"