chapter three

At least Bangor wasn't too difficult to navigate. She could actually recall the time spent here. Visiting a museum jam-packed with history of Maine as a child. Victor driving her here so they could go to concerts together. Overall, she remembers thinking of how much nicer Bangor was as opposed to Derry.

The sky was an ombre of dark blue, orange, and pink as Jaime got on the highway towards Derry. The radio blared a local pop station; Jaime didn't have the motivation to find the alt rock one. As strange as it seemed, the closer she got to Derry, the more her nerves settled. Perhaps her body was simply so tired of panicking that it relaxed, unable to fight back anymore. Or, instead, it was her mind's doing, her telling herself she had nothing to fear. Logically, she knew she didn't, but what could explain the utter terror that bathed her upon hearing Mike's voice? What the fuck had happened, all those years ago?

The 'Welcome to Derry' sign welcomed her soon as she navigated through a road paved between rows of towering trees. Her grip on the steering wheel loosened enough to where her knuckles weren't the color of fresh snow. This will be fun, Jay. It's Mike. Can't you remember him? Homeschooled, kind, smart...

This morning, upon receiving the call, she wouldn't be able to put a face to Mike's voice if her life depended on it. Now, it was slowly inching back to her, weaving around her brain. His smile, his terror, and simultaneously his determination. Mike was defiant, had a fire lit in him that drove him forward. That much she could recall.

The Chinese restaurant. It just opened, you can't miss it. Mike had texted to her after they had hung up earlier. But as Jaime got deeper into Derry, she wondered if she could miss it. Derry hadn't always been so busy, that much was for sure. Sleek, new buildings were smashed between old, brick buildings. As she drove through downtown, she could see a couple skyscrapers had been built. This certainly wasn't the same town she had grown up in.

Fortunately, the restaurant appeared before she had to search too hard. It would be hard to miss, she could admit. Jaime parks the car in one of the free parking slots, then exits the vehicle. The quick walk to the door passes by in a blur. Once inside, she tells the waitress behind the podium she has a reservation under Mike Hanlon. To which she leads her through a web of tables, all the way to a more private back room area.

"We will be with you shortly." The waitress says, to which Jaime nods. She peeks her head around the corner, seeing the large table and the exquisite fishtanks lining the walls.

And then, Mike Hanlon and Bill Denbrough.

The minimal pain in her skull returns as flashes of Bill Denbrough cross her mind. His stutter, his lost little brother, his desire to reconcile with Jaime after she... what did she do, exactly?

She watches the two hug, laughing and talking over each other. And then she walks in, pink lips stretched in an involuntary grin. "Did I miss anything?"

The two boys men snap their heads over at the sound of the voice. Jaime only smiles wider as they look her over, and unbeknownst to her, they'd also be having visions of her twenty-seven years in the past.

"Jaime Criss." Mike states finally, holding his arms open. She laughs and rushes over to him. The two embrace, and she squeezes him.

"It's so good to see you. You look great." She tells him as she pulls away and keeps her hands on his forearms. A bashful smile crosses his lips as he mumbles a 'you, too.'

"And Billy," she turns to him, "it's great to see you, too."

Bill hugs her in response, patting her back while laughing. "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

"I think so." She studies his features. Obviously, wrinkles now decorated his face, creasing in lines that showed he smiled often. Blond, greying stubble lined the bottom half of his face, though it suited him well. There was a mature air to him, as there always had been. Bill had always seemed as if he knew things the average person couldn't grasp, but he'd never been cocky about it. He was a good leader, a good frontman.