Chapter 1

“Nicole, you are not putting aside your studies for some boy.”

“I don’t want to put them aside. I just want to take them elsewhere.” 

“For some boy.”

“Martell isn’t some boy!”

“He’s going off to the NBA. He’s going to meet new people and he’ll eventually forget about you.”

“He would never forget about me.” I denied. “He loves me.” I added.

“You’re too young to know what love is.” “Maybe you’re too old to remember what it feels like.” I hissed as I left the room.

“Nicole!” My mother called. “Nicole, get back here this instant!” She shouted. I grabbed my jacket from the couch and walked out the front door.

Reaching into the pocket, I retrieved my phone and began to dial my boyfriend’s number.

“Hey babe.” He picked up.

“I need to see you.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Everything.” I watched every step I took on my way to his house.

“Do you want me to pick you up?”

“I’m on my way now.”

“Walking?” He asked.

“Yes.” I answered.

“I’m coming to get you. It’s late. You shouldn’t be walking alone. I’m on my way.”

“Okay.” I hung up the phone.

My travels were silent as my thoughts were as loud as screams. The glowing moon was bright as was Martell’s future. I didn’t want to be the clouds in his life; secluding the many star opportunities coming his way. Nor did I want to face the reality of letting him go. That’s why I wanted to go with him.

“With the 5th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Chicago Bulls select Martell Clark.” I reminisced the commissioner’s announcement. Martell locked his arms around me and thanked me. Me… of all people. He didn’t immediately wrap his arms around his mother and thank her. He thanked me, because of all the people in his life, I didn’t turn my back on him. I didn’t lose my faith in him when he began to go down the wrong path. We were Brooklyn kids and grew up in a tough, Brooklyn life.

One night, I was walking home from a friend’s house and heard someone talking to themselves. It was distance, but you could tell something was wrong. I found Martell on the same picnic table I’m currently waiting on. His back was turned to me. His head was in his lap and you could hear the tapping of metal. Frightened and concerned, I called for his attention.

He ignored me at first. The sun was setting, but I could see the weapon in his hand. I called him again, wanting to grab his attention and stop his fatal contemplation. He turned his head and looked over to me. His eyes were bloodshot with tears and resentment. At the time, I didn’t know Martell personally. All I knew, was that he was the star point guard at our high school. I was a sophomore when he was a junior.

“What do you want?” He shouted from 20 feet away. I jumped as his harsh voice echoed through the wooded park. Even though I was far from him, I could feel the lethal surrender approaching. I wanted to stop him. I had to. If I don’t say something, I’ll be left with remorse and self-blame. “I need someone to talk to.” I fibbed, hoping he would allow me to talk to him.

He slowly sat up, giving me more of his attention.

“You don’t even know me.” He said.

“So what I say to you won’t matter. I just need someone to hear me.” I told him, hoping that’s what he was feeling. He looked away from me and to the darkening sky.