Chapter 2

“Is this goodbye?” Martell asked as we sat in my driveway.

 “I don’t want it to be.”

 “Your dream is to go to UCONN. I would feel horrible if you gave that up for me.” He stared down on the steering wheel.

 “I want you to come with me,” He finally admitted.

 “But your parents would hate me and-”

 “I don’t care what they think.”

 “What if things don’t work out between us?”

“Don’t you want a chance?”

“I do, but you got accepted to UCONN. Your parents don’t know about that. Now, you’re talking about coming with me to Chicago.”

“I can tell them about UCONN and come to Chicago instead.”

“Baby, they’re paying your tuition. They’d know.”

“I’m 19. I’m legal. They can’t stop me.”

“You’d give up UCONN for me?” He asked.

“I can attend the art institute in Chicago and still become a journalist. I want to be a journalist. Point, blank, period.” I sat back in my seat.

He slid his hand over mine, gently stroking it as he pondered. “You want this?”

“Beyond a doubt.”

“I love you Nicky.”

“I love you too.” I affirmed.

It was dark outside. It blinded me from seeing my mother standing beside Martell’s driver side door. She motioned her finger for him to let down the window. He wound it down and politely asked, “Yes?”

“Get out the car Nicole.” She rudely ignored him. Clearly displeased by her ill manners, I apologized for her. Martell knew her ways and accepted my apology.

“Nicole, get out the car.” She sternly ordered. Martell tightened his grip on my hand, begging me not to leave yet. I reached over him and let up the window. Then, I locked the doors.

“Come with me. Come with me to Chicago.”

“You don’t leave for a couple more days. Where are we suppose to go until then?” I listened as my mom knocked on the window.

“We can go tonight.”

“How-” “Just trust me.”

“What if I can’t get out the house?” I asked, looking at my irritated mother.

“I know you. You’ll find a way. I’ll call you in a hour.”

“That’s too long. I don’t know if I should even step out the car.” I watched as my angry dad came out of the house. I looked at the gear as did Martell.

“I got you.” He looked at me.

“I know.” I nodded. He grabbed the gear, but I grabbed his hand.

“Not tonight.”

“Why not?”

“Because I can’t leave without giving them a piece of my mind.” I kissed his cheek before getting out of the car.

“I’ll call you.” I closed the door. The anger on my parents’ faces were cautionary. I was ready for the whirlwind approaching.

“When we tell you to do something, you do it.” My dad lectured as I walked to the front door. As always, Martell waited in the driveway until I was safely inside my house.