Chapter 4

“What is it?” I asked. Martell seemed hesitant. “It can wait.” He waved his hand. “Are you sure?” “Yeah. Let’s get the rest of your stuff.” “K.” I skipped up the steps. “You’re not going to miss this place?” “No.” I walked into my room. “No good memories?” “Bleh.” “We’ll make nothing, but great memories in Chicago.” “Can we leave tonight?” I plopped down on the bed.

“See, I asked you to leave with me yesterday, but noooooo. The tickets are for tomorrow.” He reminded. “The tickets are for tomorrow.” I mimicked. Martell threw a bundle of socks at me. “Abuse.” I joked. “I’d never hurt you.” He leaned across the bed to kiss my unharmed arm. “Better?” He asked. I pointed to my cheek. He kissed my cheek. Next, I pointed to my lips. He graced mine with his.

Martell and I went out for lunch to pass the time; while we waited for my parents to get off work. “You think they’ll let me come inside the house?” We walked to the front door. “Just come in.” “I wasn’t invited.” “I’m inviting you.” I turned the knob. “I’ll stay out here.” He lowered himself off the step. I hated this. I really did. The person that means the most to me is being treated like a stray dog by my mom and dad.

“Come on.” I took his wrist and guided him into the house. “Mom, dad.” I called. “What is it, Nicole?” I heard the water running in the kitchen. “Mom.” I walked into the room with my boyfriend. I could see the hard exhale as my mom’s nostrils expanded. I know I just gave you vivid imagery, but it’s clear that she wanted us to see the disapproval.

“I need to talk to you and dad.” I pulled out a seat for Martell. He didn’t take it. “Sit down.” I whispered. “Go ahead.” My mother allowed. He finally seated, pulling out my chair for me. “Thank you.” I sat down waiting for my mom. “ADAM!” My mom called my father’s name. “What?” He called back. My mother didn’t reply. She waited for him to come and find Martell in the house.

When he came into the kitchen, my mom used her displeased hand to point to us. “They want to talk.” “About what?” “Some things that have been on my mind.” I launched the conversation. With a harsh exhale of his own, my father sat across from us. My mom soon followed.

I felt that each pair held up defensive walls. Martell and mines weren’t as obvious as my parents. They were leaned back with their arms crossed. So mature. “We’re leaving tomorrow. Martell thought it would be kind of me to thank you for looking out for me. You’re my parents.” I respected. 

“I know we don’t have the kind of relationship that I wish we did, but I still love you. You’re my family and I do respect you. I know you want me to do specific things with my life, but Martell made me realize that that’s not going to make me happy. That’s not what I want. With him, I feel like I have a voice. He listens to my thoughts and dreams.” I took his hand.

“I love him and if you gave him a chance you would love him too. Not once has he ever said anything hurtful about you. It was me. He told me you’re my parents and I need to respect you enough to thank you for being just that. You say things about him that aren’t true. You don’t respect him, but for some reason he respects you. He's a great man. I love him with all my heart. It hurts me that there’s this distance between us, because of my relationship with him.” I looked over to my boyfriend. He pulled his lips into his mouth and looked at me. 

“We’ve been together for years and today was the first time I’ve ever heard either of you call him by his first name.” It pained me to say it. “Why?” I asked. “What did he do that was so wrong?” I added. Martell sat straight before saying, “I’m not taking your daughter from you. That’s not my intent, but I love her and I’m happy to be starting a life with her in Chicago.” He took a glimpse of me before continuing.