Chapter 3

The following morning, I came down the stairs knowing my parents were at work. I cooked breakfast, because I invited Martell over to help me with my luggage. I’m ready to get out of here. As soon as I got off the phone with him last night, I grabbed boxes. A bolt of excitement struck me, when I heard the doorbell. “I’m coming!” I turned off the eyes, grabbed a towel to clean my hands, and strolled to the door. Finding Martell on the other side, cleansed my mind of every worry. “Good morning.” He smooched my lips. “Great morning.” I linked my arms around his tall figure.

“I hope you don’t grow any taller.” I looked up to him. “6’5 is tall for a point guard.” “Maybe you should be a shooting guard.” “I’d rather dominate all the other point guards. I smell food.” He looked over me. My face painted a lively frown. “I hate when you do that.” I stood on the tip of my slippers. “What?” “Look over me like I’m a midget.” I let go of him and led the way to the morning meal. “5’9 isn’t that short for a female.” “Compared to you, yeah huh.” I noted. “Whatever.” He softly pushed me. I giggled.

“I hope everything you made is healthy.” “Martell!” I looked back to him. “I have to watch my diet.” “Just when I was trying to be a good girlfriend and cook my boo something-” “I’ll ignore my diet for you today. I know you put some effort into this.” He held me from behind. “Thank you.” I leaned back, into him. “I thought about the healthy thing.” I pointed to the pancakes.

“They’re wheat.” I looked over my shoulder and up to him. He smiled. “I have fresh fruit, turkey bacon and I even took the yolks out of the eggs.” I tried to impress. “You got me.” He kissed me behind my ear. “I pay attention. I know how important your health is.” I brought his food to the table. “Let’s take it upstairs.” He took the plate. “After you.” He allowed. I walked in front of him. “Thank you Nicci.” “I’ll be cooking for you every morning in Chicago.” “I’ll try to cook for you too.”

“I don’t want to die.” I teased. “You can teach me!” “”Good thing you’re a quick learner.” I looked back at him. He rolled his eyes. I laughed, entering my bare room. “You must have been packing all night.” “When it’s time to go, it’s time to go. I’m ready.” “You packed up like you’re never coming back.” “Why should I? I only come here during breaks.” “Now, you’ll have your own place.” He rested on the bed.

“I love your- I mean our place.” “I knew one day you would move in with me. That’s why I let you pick the place out.” “You always have a plan. What if something doesn’t follow the script?” “I have a plan B.” “What if-” “I have plans A-Z planned before I make any decision. Since you got me here, it was only right to let you pick the place out. I was going to fly you out often, so…” “We’re going to be living together.” I sat next to him. “I don’t snore.” “I know.” I wiped the syrup away from his lip.

“You drool though.” He made an ugly face. “Do not! I sleep cute.” “Lying like I don’t already know.” “I’m an ugly sleeper?” “You’re wild. You kicked me off the bed twice.” He held up two fingers. I held them down. “I may wake up with a black eye one morning.” “I’ll get it together.” “People may think my girl is kicking my ass for losing games or something.” “The season hasn’t started.” “Doesn’t mean we’ll go undefeated.” He poked my cheek.

“Are you worried?” “I’m a little nervous.” “That’s only normal.” “I’m good though. The team is welcoming. I know there’s going to be rookie hazing, but I’m good. You know, the team calls me son.” “You don’t even say son.” I laughed. “It’s just 'cause I’m from here.” He bit his lip. “Wearing number 15.” I acknowledged. He humbly nodded.

“I’m proud of you.” “Thanks baby.” He praised. All I did was smile, admiring him. This kid- excuse me. This man hasn’t changed since I first met him. He’s still the driven, humble, Brooklyn guy I grew to love. “What?” He stopped eating. “I knew you could do it.” “Not without you. I’m keeping you by my side.” “I belong there.” “Don’t I know this?” “My parents said you were going to forget about me when you left.” “Nah…” He shook his head.