Fiir

Post-Abduction

Hazel worked very hard, and very quickly. If she wasn't in class or training, she was cleaning or working or helping someone do something. She played sparingly and meditated only in broad daylight. In truth, she was doing better than expected. She could still sleep and meditate without consequence. What was her Main Guest waiting for? Did it truly have no idea where she was?

Rumors of Hazel's disappearance transmogrified several times before dying down. Hazel never told a soul about what happened during her last meeting with the masters, and thankfully, the masters only betrayed the bare minimum. Hazel was no longer suspected. Of course, the masters now viewed her differently than the students did, but most were actually more open with her now. They let her learn and didn't keep her on a tight leash; if she wanted to do something her own way, they let her. If she had a question, they always answered. But others, of course, were more withdrawn than ever. Hazel blamed herself, and she didn't see the Ancient One again for days.

Luckily, though, Reiko remained unaffected by recent events. She never asked questions and continued speaking to Hazel as if nothing was amiss. Hazel appreciated someone treating her normally.

"I think your dad hates me," Hazel told Reiko as the two girls tended to their laundry in the basement laundry room.

"Yeah, I get that a lot," Rei sighed. "But he's just strict. Can you pass me the laundry detergent?"

Hazel tossed the bottle in Reiko's direction.

"Thanks," Rei dumped a capful of the liquid in the washing machine over a pile of robes. "Anyway, my family's been living at Kamar-Taj for generations. My father was raised in the Order, and he doesn't have patience for people who act outside of the rules. You're not breaking any rules, but you don't really color inside the lines, if you know what I'm saying."

"Oh," Hazel looked up and held up a couple white articles. "Hey, do you have a light load I can put these in?"

"Sure, toss them here." Reiko put the clothes in a basket with her lighter robes. "But the Ancient One seems to like what you're doing, so you don't need to worry about it."

"Yeah..." Hazel heaved a sigh and averted her gaze. A shadow in the corner made her jump. She shook her head and repressed a shudder. "Let's hurry up. I hate being down here."

"Alright," Reiko nodded.

Aside from Reiko, Mordo and Stephen were among the people who remained un-alienated after Hazel's disappearance. In truth, they were glad to see her back at all.

"So you haven't been having trouble with your Guests?" Stephen asked after training that day. As Hazel cleaned the staffs and equipment, he lingered, helping out by replacing the equipment on the racks. The spotted cat sprawled lazily on Hazel's other side. "More than usual, I mean."

"No. It's weird that they haven't taken me away or something, but I think maybe the wards have something to do with it," Hazel shrugged. "Or maybe I really fooled them being gone like I was."

"Three days..." Stephen shook his head.

"I know," Hazel gave him a curt nod. She wanted to pretend it wasn't a real thing anymore. She wanted to forget about magic and return home to be a mundane again. "Now it's only a matter of time..."

"Is there anything you can do?" Stephen asked. "To stop it, I mean. Like another ritual you could do to throw him off again, or...?"

"I could kill someone," Hazel deadpanned. "I'm serious. The Tangahshii boon is paid in blood, always."