The Patron's Mother's Brother's Visit

Know Thyself

Hazel stayed in the healer's ward for a day and a night. Her wounds were slow to heal compared to what she was used to, but she took the time she had to herself studying and reading. It was nice not having to worry about painting a Guest or cleaning a courtyard. The cat kept her company and eagerly listened whenever Hazel read out loud.

They were currently in the middle of a gorgeous book about a rare, ancient, beautiful creature who never failed to be better than everyone else around her. Hazel read emphatically about this creature, and the cat sometimes considered, with amusement and regret, that Hazel thought of the Ancient One when reading.

"I never really understood what you dream of doing with me, once you've caught me," Hazel read. "She slipped away from him like rain. 'I don't think you know yourselves.'"

Hazel let the book lie open in her lap as she spent the next few moments staring at nothing. She gave a heavy sigh.

"Are you sure we should let that girl return to class?" Master Junzo asked as he and Mordo patrolled the halls.

"The Ancient One made her decision," Mordo nodded. "Hazel was willing to accept guidance and return to the rightful path, and the Ancient One was glad for that. Don't take that away from her."

"I never relish the loss of a student," Master Junzo sighed. "To darkness or otherwise. Still, to think the Ancient One would regard Hazel so highly after what happened..."

"How so?" Mordo raised an eyebrow.

The two men hesitated at the open doorway to the Ancient One's study when they heard voices within. Peering around the corner calmly, they saw the Ancient One and Hazel sitting across from each other. The Ancient One was holding a book open facing Hazel and pointing at different figures on the page.

"When your spells are sealed, your energy isn't really taken away from you; it's simply dormant," the Ancient One was explaining. "Imagine it being contained within you in a box."

"And to access my magic again, I just have to open it?" Hazel asked with raised eyebrows. The Ancient One nodded. "Is that how you do it?"

The Ancient One merely chuckled and set the book aside. Mordo watched on with wide eyes.

"She's teaching Hazel how to cast around seals," Master Junzo explained monotonously as he and Mordo continued down the hallway. Mordo quickly composed himself.

"Of course. That was the plan all along; with her situation, Hazel would need to learn how to overcome a seal before she leaves in the fall."

Master Junzo didn't look convinced. "But had it not been for her inability to cast around a seal, I'm afraid their little scrape would have gotten out of hand."

Mordo smirked. "You don't honestly believe Hazel could have bested the Sorcerer Supreme."

"She was injured," Junzo replied firmly. "Kai tried keeping it from me. The Ancient One sealed Hazel's magic because she had to for her own sake."

"Even so," Mordo dismissed. "That should give you even more faith in Hazel's loyalty. After all, the Ancient One wouldn't continue to teach her if she was a threat."

Master Junzo sighed.

Mordo was never one to question the Ancient One, but this didn't feel like punishment.

Once Hazel was in recovery, the masters understandably demanded she be punished for her transgression before being allowed to continue her studies at Kamar-Taj. Of course they wouldn't expell Hazel if the Ancient One had forgiven her; the Ancient One's words still stuck with them. Hazel couldn't even leave Kamar-Taj because of her situation, but that didn't mean she was getting off Scott-free.