Atashaan Morah

Waking Up

That morning, it felt as if they both awoke from a strange, vivid dream. Hazel and the Ancient One were in the same bed, lying facing one another, and they jolted awake at the same time. The Ancient One sat up and looked around to gather her bearings. They were in the Ancient One's bedroom, which was as tidy as she'd left it. The digital clock on the bedside table was frozen and blinking, probably from an electrical malfunction. Had they lost power some time in the night? Hazel and the Ancient One were both wearing the white ribbon bindchain again. The Ancient One was wearing fresh pajamas, as well. Her skin was soft and clean, her head was freshly shaven, and she only felt as hungry or thirsty as she would any other morning.

It couldn't have been a dream.

The Ancient One looked blearily and uncertainly at Hazel, who seemed to share her feelings of confusion. How and when had they moved rooms? After breaking the trap, she remembered so little. There was a blurred line where dreams and reality had met that night...

Even if this was a false awakening, the two of them carried on and minded their own business. It would do no good to question things when neither of them were accountable. They slipped out of bed and made sure they were moderately presentable and headed downstairs into the master's dining room. At first, they were greeted by the master's voices and clattering of dishes. So it was breakfast time. Hazel and the Ancient One shared one last glance before entering the room, prepared for whatever nonsensical scene they'd walk in on.

It wasn't a spectacle of dopplegangers or monsters around the table—only the masters of Kamar-Taj. One by one, each of them noticed their unexpected company, and for a moment they all fell still and silent and stared at each other. As if waiting. Then they were all thinking this: am I dreaming?

Hamir was the first to speak.

"Ancient One!" He got to his feet and crossed the room in a heartbeat. At first, he just stood before her, not sure if he should touch her or not. But thankfully, the Ancient One reached out to him. Her fingers grasped the fabric of his robe at his shoulders first. They looked each other in the eye, and at once they were both so grounded in reality that it felt odd they'd ever doubted. Then she wrapped her arms around him and he did the same to her, clinging and nearly crying with relief.

"Where have you been?" Mordo tried not to sound disrespectful. But surely none of them could be expected to be so rigid after the hellish 24 hours they'd had.

"I..." the Ancient One didn't know what to say for a moment. She knew it wasn't wise to rat Hazel out now right in front of her, lest Hazel spill the secrets she'd discovered. "How long was I gone?"

"A day," Hamir replied, pulling away from her. "You disappeared before the harvest celebration on the first. It's the third now."

"I see..." The Ancient One glanced at Hazel, who nodded in affirmation.

They all sat down again and resumed breakfast as if nothing happened. Of course, none of them were put at ease that easily; the masters couldn't take their eyes off the Ancient One, and she was busy thinking up what all she could say to and ask them without giving herself away completely. Maybe it was best Hazel was right there. Although she wished she could ask Hazel to leave without raising suspicions, the Ancient One admitted keeping her here kept her mindful.

"You're still in your pajamas," Wong noticed. "Did you return last night?"

"I did," the Ancient One nodded. Master Junzo raised his head and narrowed his eyes. The Ancient One straightened. He could tell she was lying, but how could he question someone of her station? She'd become well-known for telling little lies here and there about everything. He had no right to question her now, and if he did, she'd deal with him later. How far could the others be swayed, after all? They needed her in more ways they'd be willing to admit to themselves.