Chapter 2: As If We Never Said Goodbye

"Is the fridge fully stocked?" Mal asked, running around Evie's castle setting up decorations.

"Yes, ma'am," Evie chuckled as her eyes tried to keep up with Mal.

The night sky was falling down on Auradon as the crickets began chirping and the winds started to howl. Mal and Ben had arrived early to help set up everything for the party. Balloons hung from the archways and snacks filled the entirety of Evie's kitchen. A huge banner adorned the main foyer which was made by Evie herself. The list of invitees was small so it was more of a get-together than a giant party.

"Hey, Mal," Evie began, "remember Heather's party our last year on the Isle?"

"How could I forget that night?" Mal smiled as she reminisced. "I wanted to choke the living life out of you."

"Should I ask?" Ben said as he quirked an eyebrow out of curiosity.

"No," both girls said in unison, followed by a fit of giggles.

Soon after that, the trio heard the slam of a car door outside. They all shared looks before Evie nodded to walk towards the entrance. She turned around quickly to signal for Mal to put on some mood music, to which Mal quickly ran to the stereo to do so.

Evie opened her door and caught sight of Chad and Audrey walking through the path towards the entrance. They held two bags in their hands, one with a cake and the other with a bottle of wine.

"Hey, I'm glad you could make it," Evie greeted as she kissed Audrey and then Chad. "Here let me take those bags off you."

"Thanks," Chad smiled before marveling at the chandelier that hung above the foyer. "I should've become a fashion designer."

"You're a prince, Chad," Audrey laughed, "and you've got zero fashion sense."

"That's not true!" Chad exclaimed as Audrey shot Evie an amused look. "I have an excellent sense of fashion."

"Just because you slap on faux fur on an outfit doesn't mean you look good," Ben chimed in as he pulled Chad into a hug.

As the group began to chat, Evie heard another car approach as it's headlights shone in through the colored glass panes that adorned the common room.

"You guys make yourself at home, I'll get that," the princess said as she excused herself.

Jay, Gil, Carlos, and Jane had carpooled from Auradon Prep together. Jane was the first to get out of the car with a petrified look on her face, as per usual. Then the three other boys got off while arguing about who was better at sword fighting.

"That was the longest car ride ever," Jane sighed as she got close to Evie as if she was her salvation. "And they say we're too emotional."

Evie laughed as Jane brushed past her and then Jay smiled from afar. He wrapped his arms around the princess and hugged her tightly. Evie found quick comfort in Jay's arms. She was determined to spend as much time with him that night as that could very well be the last time she could see him.

"Thank you," he whispered, releasing her from his embrace.

"Don't," the princess gulped, holding back her tears, "let's leave all that for the end, alright?"

Jay nodded and walked inside with Evie by his arm, Carlos and Gil right behind them.

"The men of the hour!" Chad yelled, making everyone clap simultaneously. "Now maybe I'll have a chance at being team captain."

"No matter where I am, Chad" Jay paused as he set his hand on Chad's shoulder, "I'm always gonna be better at you at any sport."

Chad scoffed as the group laughed. Evie's eyes darted to her phone as she received a message from Doug. Her eyes followed the words he wrote and soon she found herself bummed out over the fact that he wasn't going to be able to make the party. He had to attend some family dinner with all his uncles and Snow White. Evie wrote back that it didn't matter and that she wished him a good time. She took a deep sigh and returned her attention to everyone in the room.