Chapter 10

Chapter 10 - Fortuna's Ship

It had been three weeks since Elizabeth had cried in his arms for an hour. After a while, she just turned on her heels and had walked away to get Tala for a feeding.

Leaving Harp with more questions than answers on the deck. As long as he'd known her, Liz was a strong woman and it wasn't like her to fall apart like she did that evening.

He never go a reply from her. The only thing Declan noticed, and hurt him, was that she was clearly creating a distance between them that wasn't there before.

Liz didn't search for his company no more then she should. Only to give Tala to him or when Fortuna wanted something done, Liz was closer by his side. Other times,... she lingered near, but didn't came close to him. No more longing looks, no more gentle touches and no more loving kisses.

Harp was busy with sharpening some arrows while his thoughts were turning chaotic. He didn't know what went wrong and caused her to act like she did. The only thing Harp knew, is that he missed her warmth by his side and that beautiful smile around her lips that was only meant for him to see.

Three fucking long weeks, she had given him the cold shoulder

Sometimes Harp felt jealously creeping up on him when Liz and Rob talked. He felt that the boy stood too close to her, that she curled her fingers in her hair and offered the young man a smile.

Harp threw away the arrows with so much force that Kate jumped up from the sound of them landing on the floor. The room felt too small and he needed to be able to breathe.

With a few long strides he reached the ladder that would bring him to the upper deck. He inhaled the fresh air as soon as he felt the fresh, night wind hit his face.

Harp glanced at the steering wheel where Fortuna was looking over the ocean. For a moment, Declan wondered how the man was able to see anything in this darkness.

Instead of finding the company of his friend, he made his way to the back of the ship where he knew he'd be alone.

He cursed out loud. Now he didn't only had to worry about finding his son and hoping the child all right and would recognise him.

Now, there was the feeling Liz was slipping away from although he only had to stretch his arm to reach her.

A headache formed and Harp rubbed his temples whilst closing his eyes. His fists ached for a good fight, now more then ever.

And when the Commodore's voice came from behind him, Declan clenched his hands so that the man wouldn't be at the end of his right hand. He took a deep breath through the nose, trying to calm his nerves down.

"You're alone?"

Declan leaned against the railing with his back, the sound of the waves crashing on the vessel from behind him. A simple nod would have to do for an answer and hopefully a small hint that he'd rather be left alone.