Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Pinar Del Rio , Cuba - Declan and Dickon

The first address that Laura had given them was a dead end. The only slaves that the old man had under his wing, were either old or servants. There was no kid on the premise. The landlord was ancient, blind and was surprised to have visitors.

When Dickon asked his question, the blind man had been silent for some time before admitting he used to own child slaves when he was younger. Their little hands were perfect to pluck the grapes in the vine. Or roll the tobacco leaves dry. But he had sold most of his slaves. Some, he set free. He had no need for them anymore.

The ones still in service there, were now paid and had housing. A day of rest once a week. Those former slaves had stayed out of their own will. The old man his days of slave owner came to an end, so he told, when he had fallen in love with a woman who worked his fields day and night.

The story was a tragic one and didn't have a happy ending. The woman eventually died by sickness and made him promise to never hold a slave again. And so he did.

Harp didn't mind the story, but was impatient.

"Can you tell us where we can find such child slaves," he asked bluntly, cutting the story short.

The blind man turned his face into Harp's direction.

"There others. All of them have child slaves, Mr," he replied and Dickon and Declan shared a glance.

"All of them," Dickon asked and frowned.

"Yes, Mr," the man nodded, crossed his hands over each other on his blanket that was on his knees. "Every one of them."

It was silent for a moment before both Dickon and Harp cursed out loud.

"That's why I'm surprised," the elder man got their attention again, "why Lady Laura send you to me. She has the most children slaves of all. They stay in a barn not far from the house to sleep and eat. Work her fields."

Declan felt as if he turned pale and held himself steady on Dickon's shoulder.

"We didn't see any," Dickon spoke up, the same look of concern on his face.

"Well, she doesn't let them parade in front of her visitors," the man spoke as if it was normal. "She keeps them away from her little hotel. The people coming there aren't waiting to see the slaves. They want the beauty of Pinar del Rio. Not the ugly part."

Harp took a deep breath in.

"We have to go," he managed to say although Harp felt as if someone was holding his throat in a chokehold.

Dickon quickly nodded, his features worried and his movements fast. He thanked the man for the information and both of them ran towards their horses.

"She lied," Dickon stated when he guided his horse towards the small road. "She wanted us gone."

"My daughter is there," was all Declan could say. "We need to hurry."

Dickon nodded and didn't speak anymore. He turned his blue gaze towards the sky that was darkening rapidly.

"She send us to the other side of Pinar. We'll never make it before nightfall."

Declan growled and jumped on his horse.

"But we'll get there," he said and Liz' brother followed Harp as fast as his horse was willing to go.

By the time they were a few miles from the mansion, the sky was already dark but both men held their horses. In the direction where the mansion was hidden behind the trees, a warm, orange glow tainted the sky.

They both frowned and it took Harp a few seconds to fully realise what was going on.

"It's on fire," he shouted, the scent of smoke reaching their noses.

The panic on Dickon's face was evident and his hands trembled while the Pirate put his heels into the flank of his horse. Harp did the same, mind chaotic and wanted to get to the hotel as fast as they could.

The closer they came, more dense the smoke was. The scent of burning wood filled their noses, making the men cover up their mouth and nose. It pricked their eyes and the horses became so restless, they had to let them go.

They went on by foot, and when they came closer to the mansion, they could hear screams and panicked voices. If it were for Declan, he would have marched straight into the hotel. He wasn't thinking straight, his mind always going back to the last time he saw and spoke to Liz. The last time he held his daughter close against his chest. Heard her laughter in his ears.

It was Dickon who grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him down behind the low growth of the territory. He sushed Harp by holding a finger before his lips and pointed to the burning mansion. The flames reached higher then the highest treetop and people were carrying water to try and put out the fire.

Dickon Wilson could see it was no use and heard the low growl that came from Harp who was kneeled down next to him.

They both caught sight of Fisker, who ran around commanding his men while pointing into several directions.

"We have to found Liz and Tala," Dickon stated the obvious, making Declan want to smack his brother in law on the head.

"Declan," a soft, scared voice came from behind them and Harp swivveled around.

His eyes met a terrified Elizabeth, even in the dark he could see the blood stains on her dress and painted part of her face a dark red.

"Liz," he sighed relieved, didn't give a damn about the blood and pulled her against him.

She hugged him back, eventually. With shaking hands and arms around his torso which told him Elizabeth was in shock. This woman wasn't easily traumatized and he pushed her a little off him so he could look at her.

"What happened?"

She opened her lips to speak, but a heartbreaking sob left her throat instead. Dickon stared at the two and his eye caught on to something behind her. It was Kate who stood a bit back, waiting and lingering with her gaze cast down. It was dark, it was all Liz' brother could see from where he stood.

Declan took Liz by her shoulders and forced her to look at him.

"Liz, what the fuck happened?"

His gaze travelled over her bloodied face, hair and dress.

"Are you hurt?"

"It isn't her blood," Kate said softly from behind Liz.

Declan hardly acknowledged the blonde in the back and a fear caught his heart.

"Liz, where's Tala?"

The agonizing cry that left her mouth, made Declan freeze in place and he didn't register the fact that Dickon grabbed him by the shoulder in a comforting way.

"Where's my daughter?"

Author's note : I needed to update sooner. Simply because I had this ready since yesterday morning and I loved the feedback I got on the last chapter. I'm so sorry to end this chapter like this.... Hope you like the update. The next one will be next week. <3 - XoXo Aysline