Mom's Birthday

You were pacing back and forth constantly, bits of worry covering your face. You had no idea what to really do in this situation. It was your mother's birthday this week and you had nothing to show for her. You were just so worried and fearful. It's not like your parents were angry people, they were happy but also a bit job obsessive especially since you were at Beacon now. You were able to contact your father to work out ideas and he said he could handle gifts so long as you could bring the food including cake.

You had no idea how to bake so, yeah. Basically screwed over. You were inside Beacon student kitchen for the second years, working your butt off, trying to make a cake without burning it, over cooking it and so on and so on. You let out a yawn as you looked at the clock and saw you had spent four hours in this room trying to bake. You slammed your head onto the workstation and took a few deep breaths to try and calm down. You then slammed your hand besides you head in frustration and soon enough, the thoughts came back to you.

You were worthless. You couldn't even make a simple cake for your Mom. You never deserved this lifestyle. You ruined everything. You were going to ruin your mom's birthday all over this stupid cake. Your scroll then buzzed and looked at it, a message from Coco.

Coco: On your left.

You raised an eyebrow and then turned to your left and saw Coco standing there. You gave her a half-assed wave and she walked in and spoke sign to you.

Coco: What are you doing?

"Try to make a cake for my mom. It's her birthday Tuesday and my dad wants me to make the cake."

Coco: Need help? I'm here to do so.

"Really? I don't want to make you waste your time."

Coco: I wouldn't be. Trust me. So...let's get this started.

So, you two began to work along this cake. It did take about an hour, but it was kind of a fun process. You also blushed a bit when Coco went to work, removing her baray, letting her hair down and taking off her glasses as well. You blushed a bit at seeing her dress, act, and treat you like a friend and yet, you believed she playfully flirted with you and was totally for it. She...stop brain! She's your friend! She shouldn't be thought of like this. Remember who she was...your...friend. You felt someone softly grab your arm. You knew it was Coco...you knew that touch more than anything else.

You turned around and saw Coco looking up at you. You both locked eyes for a moment, silence covering the room. A ding then went off and shock the two out of it.

Coco: Oh shoot! The cake!

Coco ran over and opened the oven and quickly pulled out the cake and got it out and placed it on the counter. Coco began to pant and slowly smile. She did it! You smiled with her and walked over to her and hugged her. Coco was shocked and slowly hugged back. You both let go quickly and awkwardly walked it off.

"Hey. Do you want to home over for my Mom's birthday?"

Coco: What? NO! I don't want to ruin that for you guys.

"It's fine. I'll ask my father if you can come along. Please."

Coco: Ok. But you owe me.

"I'll win you another stuffed animal."

You gave an awkward smile at your terrible joke. Coco, meanwhile, smiled and nodded in agreement with you. So, the day came and you packed up the cake and Coco bought a small bracelet for your mother. You and her went to your home and knocked on the door and your father opened the door. He smiled at you and hugged you a bit and spoke in sign to you.

Father: Hey, kiddo. How are you?

You gave him a thumbs up. Your father took the cake and then turned and looked at Coco.

Father: Who's this?

Coco: My name is-

You quickly answered in sign.

"She's a friend. I thought you and mom would like to meet you."

Your father gave you a smile and wink and guided you both inside. A few minutes later, your mom came home and was welcomely surprised by the effort. She gasped and smiled widely when she saw the cake and the work you and Coco put into it.

Mother: So, Mathias, who did you pay for the cake?

Mathias: Well, that would be your son.

Your mom turned back and smiled at you and also begun to speak sign.

Mother: Nice work, Sweetie. I love it.

"It was really all Coco's idea. I can't cook or bake, but she definitely can."

Your mother looked over at Coco. For years, you were able to master your mother and father's facial reactions to everything and what they meant. She was trying to remember who Coco was. Just a small twitch in her left eye and she knew EXACTLY who she was. Despite that, she still smiled and thanked Coco for the cake and bracelet.

Mother: So...you two are something more-

Mathias: Ivy?!

Ivy: Just asking.

You quickly got up and walked between your mom and Coco and basically yelled in sign.

"NOPE! JUST A FRIEND I MADE AT BEACON! NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS!"

Ivy: Alright, Alright.

So, the four of you just hung out for a bit and your parents got to know Coco better than you could have hoped. Honestly speaking, this couldn't have gone better. However, as the night went onward, you and Coco saw it was getting pretty late. She stood up and turned to you to speak in sign and verbally to your parents.

Coco: Hey, it's getting late. I'm going to head to the bathroom real quick and then head out.

"I can walk you back to Beacon."

Coco: I don't want to limit your family time.

"Don't worry about it. I can see them whenever, right?"

Mathias: Got that right.

Coco: Well, ok. If you want to.

Coco walked off to your bathroom and went inside. Your mom stood up and turned you around to be face to face with her and your father.

Ivy: I know who she is, (Y/N). She's the girl who bullied you. Made your life miserable.

Mathias: Son, if she's doing any of this on purpose, knowing I have a team on standby and we can handle this-

You cut off your father with a hand wave.

"I wanted her to come. To meet you guys. She's changed a lot. Trust me...please?"

Your parents looked at one another and you saw your mom sigh a bit before turning back to you.

Ivy: I will be watching her and you though. Just to make sure there is no funny business...in more ways than one.

You cringed a bit and waved it off. You saw your parents laugh a bit. Finally Coco came out and walked over to you and asked silently if you were ready. You gave your parents one last hug goodbye and walked outside with Coco. As you were walking, an idea popped into your head.

"Hey. The Vytal Firework Show is coming up. You want to join my family and me for it?"

Coco: Really?

"Yeah! It will be fun!"

Coco: Ok! I'm down for that"

You smiled hoping to use this event to further connect your parents with Coco. But this...wasn't the best idea you came up with.