TWO - pop quiz

The oldest mango tree in front of the classroom is quite a popular spot for every student from Aster class as if we own it. There is a bleacher perfectly built underneath the tree where you can embrace the open air, more comfortable to stay in than the scorching classroom. Sometimes, it is an upside to be in the first section.

"You nailed it, there!" Gab welcomes me with a grinning smile as I approach the tree where she is resting.

"Ha!" I cried, with a sneering face. "Ugh, I can't believe I agree with it." I start thinking that it is the worst thing and now, I'm regretting it.

"You can't resist Chanel." I just nodded. Gab couldn't help herself but laugh out loud while watching the video posted online, and place herself comfortably sitting on the grass. She barely wears a school uniform because of archery practice. She loves tying her messy hair while wearing pants and a shirt that almost has a crop top of archery club printed on it. I'm still surprised that she grows taller so quickly.

"The duff, seriously?" My face is in noticeable terror. "What am I thinking!"

"The duff?" Maia couldn't believe I'd said that in the interview, as she says with her soft voice who just came from the canteen with all the snacks. She gave me a chocolate-flavored frappe and Gab a Caramel. Then we said, "thanks" in chorus.

"You're the opposite. Complacent," rolling her eyeballs as she throws a piece of fries to me, Maia just joins the tease and sips her favorite frappe. At some point, she knew this was going to happen.

"So, duff is the new term for the most awfully beautiful and excellent and—I presumed." Chanel calmly asserted the things that, for her, describe me. She just arrived from her tryouts.

"How're the tryouts?" I tried to change the subject while offering her the fries from Maia's.

"I will be in Math, and possibly, Science." She replied and took some fries as she sat with us. "The art club is still open for auditions. You can still submit your painting, making you less of a 'duff'. What do you think?" Putting an emphasis.

"Oh, drop it."

"I'm sorry, honey, I can't." Chanel gives me a quick grin. Gab felt comfortable in the grass, I just joined her stretching.

"I agree with the painting." Gab smirks.

"Gabrielle Turner!" I cried, then she smoothly threw the fries on me.

"Don't!" We are all laughing, knowing that our Gab doesn't want to call her a complete first name. It seems so formal or whatever, weak. She doesn't usually use it even in games and archery competitions. Maia is just observing how Gab gets annoyed by it while taking pictures with her phone. She is on her phone very often.

We were having a picnic beneath the tree watching an empty wide soccer field. This is better than the bleachers with people.

Maia, while keeping busy herself with taking photos otherwise filming, abruptly captures us, candidly. "For treasuring memory, confidante!" That was a stolen shot! Our faces are so hilarious. She pauses as she looks at the photo and notices my face that is not having fun at all but distress. She asks, "Are you okay?"

Before I could respond, someone approached us in a hurry. They were in basketball practice the whole vacant hour.

"What are you doing, guys? The new teacher is inside." A husky voice comes from a guy behind, who had just arrived from the school cafeteria. From the jersey shorts he wears, he is also from basketball practice. He managed to change his top into a plain shirt when he went to the cafeteria.

"Oh, crap! Thanks, Brennan." Chanel responds. It is Grey. He is with the other four guys. As they walked towards the class, we followed.

"How come you didn't notice, Chanel?" Archly said the guy who didn't change clothes from basketball practice.

"Could you at least change, Mason!"

"You are really sweaty," Maia added with a concerning honesty.

"And stinky!" Said Gab archly.

"Whatever, I'm still handsome." He replied with a hint of pride.

Everyone was seemingly quiet and tense with the teacher as we slowly entered the classroom. "You're all late!"

    "Miss Lewis, we owe the class an apology. But, also allow us to have a good greeting." As keen as Chanel, mentions the teacher perfectly, she overlooks the grudge of being late. I didn't know she was a new teacher in Walvis Loire.

    "Sit down." She said with glinting disappointment. "Okay. I don't know how other teachers treat you, but as for me, I will treat you the same regardless of whether you are from Aster class or Zinnia. It doesn't matter. Yes, the guy in the back, care to share your thoughts with the class?" Calling out the attention of a student in the back who seemed to have his own lecture and was not listening.

"No, ma'am. We're just..."

"What's your name?" She interrupts.

"Kirby... It's Kirby Mason."

"You haven't even changed your clothes! Unbelievable." She shook her head in dismay. "You guys thought highly of yourselves. Sit down now, Mason."

    The new teacher, Miss Lewis, continued talking about life lessons and preaching on how to become role models since we are the first section. Twenty minutes before the bell rang, she still had the time to give a surprise quiz on Biology. "Okay! I want to know how much knowledge you have from Mr. Torres. Get a paper and number 1. What is the history of the evolution of a species or group?"

    "What!?" Everyone was surprised and quickly took a paper and wrote the answer. Miss Lewis didn't repeat the question and quickly proceeded to the second question. "Number 2, a squid and an octopus are both cephalopods with eight arms, but how is a squid different from an octopus?" I'm cramming trying to remember the answer to the first question. For sure, it's Phylogeny. I don't have the chance to write my name. 

    "She is a terror!" Gab mumbled. The more the class whines, the more she moves on to the next question. She's the worst teacher!

"Embryos grow into the shape of a complete organism via the differentiation of cells, tissues, and organs. What is this process called?"

Damn it. I know this one, but I am too pressured to focus and remember it.

Morphogenesis!

"Which American biologist and geneticist deduced that the sex of an individual is determined by a particular chromosome?" Miss Lewis pauses a second and continues."What is the largest geographic biotic unit? Lastly, what substance acts as a catalyst for biological reactions in living organisms?"

I don't know what number we were in until the bell rang. "Okay! Pass the paper."