Chapter 5

Everything is falling apart. The streets are oceans and we are the fish. We are drowning from there ignorance. What will remain after a time of grave destruction and peril? Will there be anything left? Everything will fall apart.

That didn't seem correct. Nothing like what I saw has ever happened in the time I've been alive. Maybe before, though. I wonder, have my memories gone back farther than before my time? It was almost unbearable. Children were screaming, blood was everywhere, and I could still smell the stench of rotting corpses.

I almost speak to tell Noel of my memory but then realize where he is. I want to see him. Slowly, with a slight dizziness, I stand to my feet and begin banging and slamming on the door almost insanely. I start to wonder if maybe I am insane? I could be. I mean, I have memories of things that I don't even understand. I'm a lab rat being tested on for.. what exactly? Just when my thoughts begin to overtake me, the door opens, sending me tumbling forward to land in a heap on the cold floor.

"You aren't looking so hot, girl. We may need to get you some meds."

The girl helps me to my feet and carries me to a bed, supplying me with a glass of water and two multicolored pills. I see her name tag. Liana.

"Where's Noel?" I whisper.

She smiles sincerely as I swallow my medicine.
"He's okay. You'll get to see him in a bit."

With that, she leaves. I honestly don't want to go to sleep, so I start to look at the ceiling. Today, and tomorrow. Two more days until I'm out of here. That is, if it works. If this whole crazy, unorganized plan actually works. I used to hate when things weren't organized and planned out. My "mother", or Johanna, used to always do things at the last minute, which I hated. But I got over it, because I loved her. She might have given me away because of a reason I can't control, but, at one time, I did love her. Sometimes, it seemed like she loved me too, when she wasn't acting strange and weird. At times, she almost seemed robotic, like a drone programmed to recite a certain mantra over and over again. That's what she would do. Over and over she'd say," We won't function properly in our life if there is disorder. Disorder must be vanquished for cooperation to live.". I'd asked her what it meant once, when I'd grown tired of her repeating it to herself whenever she looked stressed. She didn't answer me, just repeated the phrase again and turned away. Now I wonder if she meant me. If I was the disorder than disrupted the cooperation?

"She might have, but it could have been some phrase she heard her mother say once before." I'm startled when I realize that there's been someone in here with me, and that I've been talking out loud.

I lift up in the bed and look at the mans face. He looks to be in his mid 20s and sits with a clipboard and pen to accompany him.
"How much did you hear?" I ask, afraid he might have heard my mumbling about the plan.

"The first thing I heard was something about your mother. You called her by her first name which, at first, I thought was odd, but then gave into consideration your circumstances," says the man.

He kind of reminds me of Gerard. Gerard was a student in one of my classes during grade school. The moment I heard him speak he was immediately added to the list of people who get on my nerves. That's kind of how I feel about this unidentified man.
"Are you my overseer or something? Here to make sure I don't develop a special ability to come loose of these chains?" I gesture towards the chains that bind my hands onto the bed.

He sort-of chuckles. "Was that humor? It's nice to hear someone make a joke in all this seriousness."
Not really, smart guy. I don't find this situation at all funny and my statement was only said half-jokingly. If Gerard is his name, it suits him well.