Materials

I'm sorry if this drags on but I fucking love Diagon Alley and wandlore.

Also, I had to create a lot here. A lot of the books on the lists during Harry's era weren't written yet and there aren't enough specifics about what is bought where and transfers and stuff. Tom is also seen wearing a blazer in flashbacks (but also robes) so, had to add that too.

April 06, 1938

Convincing her mother not to come had been unsurprisingly easy. A day without having to put up with Catalina obviously appealed to her.

Used to it, the girl embarked on her trip to Diagonally while it was still crisp and early. And while the thought of shopping and new things filled a large part of her eagerness, the thought of seeing Tom filled more.

The previous day on the phone to the town car dispatcher, Catalina had Daisy specifically request the same driver, thinking he'd take the same route. 

Thankfully she had been right.

As the town car traveled the streets of London she read every single sign on every single building she could, searching for that one single word. 

The longer they drove and the closer they got to the Leaky Cauldron, the more she began to give up hope.

But under the stormy London clouds on the next corner, her eyes find a rusting metal sign arched over a black gate. 'Wool's Orphanage'. It fronts a clean but depressing looking stone building.

The name burns into her mind as it disappears from sight. Tom is nowhere to be seen, outside, or on the corner from last time. 

In Diagon Alley, there are a sparse few early shoppers like herself. She listens to the bricks of the Leaky Cauldron close behind her before excitedly opening her Hogwarts list, fresh galleons from her parents jangling in her bag.

First Year Female Students Will Require:

•Two Sets of of Plain Work Robes (Black)

•One Blazer (Grey) Skirt, Blouse, Cardigan and Tie

•Grey or black stockings

•One Plain Pointed Hat (Black)

•One Pair of Protective Gloves (Dragon Hide or similar)

•One Winter Cloak (Black, silver or gold fastenings)

•Please note: All pupil clothing should be labelled with name and house.

Catalina folds the list back up and tucks it inside her coat before making a brisk walk towards the north side of Diagon Alley. There, Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions resides. Her mother had implored her the previous day to attend Twilfitt and Tatting's shop for her uniform, but Catalina knows what she wants.

A loud bell chimes when she pushes the door open.

"I'll just be a moment!" A voice calls from up a tiny staircase behind the register.

"No problem," Catalina responds, her eyes travelling over the back of the many different robes fronting the store windows. All sorts of colours and as promised, for all occasions.