The Battle

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes:
Anything in italics are thoughts

An endgame fix it obviously, Cap is not old. Morgan was never born. Banner is normal and not bannerhulk. They still use the Avengers Tower. Everything else will explain itself. In this fan fic, the final battle with Thanos takes place at the beginning of August, four months before December.
End of notes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony knew what had to happen, but when he looked to Strange for confirmation, he was confused to see the the man holding up two fingers.

In his moment of confusion Thanos threw him back into the rocky ground. Tony looked at his gauntlet and was horrified to see none of the stones had transfered.

~~~

Peter was across the battleground, but could see Tony look at Dr. Strange who held up two fingers. Weird, it was only one on Titan. What changed? But before he could try and think about what it could mean he saw the resolute, yet slightly confused features, that crossed Tony face. Peter realized what his mentor was about to do. He had to stop him. Peter couldn't bear to lose someone else close to him.

Peter swung across the ground as fast as possible, and watched as Thanos threw Tony into the ground. No! He sighed in relief when he saw his mentor stir, and knew he was still alive.

Finally Peter arrived to them. Tony was about to rise and try again for the stones, but Peter wouldn't allow it. Peter used his webs and stuck Iron Man the ground. He knew it wouldn't last long, so Peter acted fast.

For the short time Thanos was distracted, Peter leapt onto his back and grasped onto the gauntlet. Almost, almost, almost... Yes!

His suits right hand had arranged all six infinity stones. Thanos grabbed the hand that clung to him and tossed Peter over his shoulder, walking up to the teenager who lay on the ground.

"All your efforts, and yet you still fail. When will you learn, that I, am inevitable." Thanos snapped, but nothing happened.

Peter leaned back into a kneeling position and gasped in pain as the power of the stones coursed through him. Looking Thanos in the eyes he smirked, "And I...am...Spiderman."

Peter snapped his fingers, and Thanos and his army turned to dust. Everyone turned around, slightly confused as to what happened, until they heard Tony's heart wrenching cry. Tony tore off the remaining webbing and ran to the kid- his kid- who was leaning against a piece or rock and metal. "Pete? Peter!" Tony knelt next to the kid, whose breathing was becoming ragged, "Kid, no what did you do?"

"I'm sorry," Peter gasped in pain, "I'm sorry, Tony."

"No, Pete please don't apologise. I'm sorry, I brought you into this." The man started to cry, "Please, Peter don't leave me, hang on you'll survive. I know you will."

Peter only looked at him with a sad smile. "I just wanted to be like you."

Tony looked away, "Strange! Please, help him. You have to help him." He said to the doctor who had walked over.

"Tony, I-"

"You listen to me, use your magic, get us to the Avengers Tower we can help him there. Please Stephen, I can't lose him." Tony choked back a sob and the doctor finally nodded.

"Okay, we'll try." Strange stood and swirled his arm and a portal appeared, straight to the Tower med bay.

Tony looked back at Peter, "You're gonna be ok Pete, you're gonna be ok. Cap! Shuri!" The two appeared by his side. "Cap, take Peter. Shuri, I need you to help him."

The two nodded, and Shuri grabbed another wizard, who took her to Wakanda for her necessary tools. Cap gently lifted the dying Peter and stepped through Strange's portal.

Tony watched in a blur as Shuri arrived to the med bay and immediately began trying to stabilize Peter. Shuri had brought along two of Wakanda's best doctors to assist her.

Tony was barely aware of Cap leading him from the room to the waiting area outside and they sat down.

A little while later Pepper arrived. She landed on the balcony and her Rescue armor retracted. She ran down the stairs to the med floor and over to her husband. "Tony..." Pepper sat next to him and hugged the man as he started to sob.

"It should've been me, it should've been me..." He repeated over and over again. Pepper tried whispering comforting words in his ears, but eventually gave up, knowing it did no good. Her own tears began to stream down her face.

They stayed like that for hours, as they later learned seven hours, to be exact. Shuri silently came out of the room and Steve immediately stood. He received a dim look, and his hopeful mood dampened.

Tony looked up at Shuri from his seat next to Pepper. "Well? How is he? He's alive right? Tell me he's alive!"

"Calm down," Shuri told him, "He's alive, though he wouldn't be if he didn't have his enhanced healing. He's in a coma right now, I have no way of knowing when he'll wake up." Or if, but he doesn't need to know that. "But..."

"But what?" Tony demanded.

"His heart was too weak to function on his own, so..." She sighed, "Just come see for yourself." Shuri lead the way to Peter's room in the ICU, Tony on her heels. She opened the door and stepped back. Stark rushed forward to the kid, his kid. He sat in a chair next to the bed and looked at Peter's hand. "H-how?"

"We used Cradle's technology to regrow the tissue, I can't say how much nerve damage there was, though. But Tony, that's not all." Shuri said solemnly.

He looked to her confused and then back at Peter, scanning every inch one of him, before inhaling sharply. In the middle of Peter's chest was a glowing, faint blue circle. An arc reactor.

"You don't have to worry about too much, we used your most advanced ones. A spare from 2012." Shuri explained gently.

Tony covered his face and began to cry again. Pepper stood behind him and rubbed his back soothingly. Steve nodded to Shuri, "Thank you princess, for everything."

"Of course," she smiled. "Call me whenever you need me. I'll be back every week or so to check on Peter."

Shuri left the med bay to where Stephen waited, and was teleporter back to Wakanda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note:
Uhhh, leave your thoughts in comments. Thanks for reading!
Lots of love,
Siri