Healing Takes Time

Over the next 13 weeks, Natasha and Tony talked a lot. Almost everyday. And Tony made a lot of progress. By three weeks he would come to make his own food, though he stayed in his lab the rest of the time. Except for, of course, his daily visits to Peter, and the nights, which he spent with Pepper. At six weeks, Stark would join the others for meals, even though he didn't talk much to them.

His next milestone was a lot later though, at week 11. Tony joined the team for their Tuesday and Friday movie nights, along with their training exercises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was one such Friday at the beginning of December, around 4 p.m., and the whole team was grocery shopping. The ones who stayed at the Tower full time, at least; Steve, Natasha, Bruce, Bucky, Rhodey, and Wanda. Tony was in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee. He had opted out of going along, as he did with most outings. If there was even a slight chance that Peter could wake up while they were gone, which there always was, he wouldn't leave.

Tony had just taken a drink of his coffee when he heard soft footsteps padding down the steps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter's eyes slowly fluttered open. How long had it been? A glance out the window at the softly falling snow told him it had been a while. Peter felt tired and weak, and somewhat drained of life. I suppose that's what happens when you use all six infinity stones. Peter's eyes widened at the memory of what had happened that fateful day.

He managed to find the strength to push himself to a sitting position, and figured what might happen. "Friday?"

"Yes Peter?"

"Are you supposed to tell Tony I'm awake?"

"I have been ordered to yes."

"Can you... Not? I'd like to go to him myself." Peter asked.

"I do not know if that is wise. You are very weak right now."

"I can manage. Please Friday? It doesn't seem right coming from his AI."

"Alright," she finally relented, "but if you appear to be struggling in any way I will immediately alert him of your condition."

Peter smiled, "Thanks Fri, say, could you tell me where he is right now?"

"Mr. Stark is in the kitchen, the rest of the team are shopping."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony walked to where he could see the stairs easily, and his heart leapt. There was Peter-his kid-coming towards him, leaning heavily on the wall for support. Peter stopped when he noticed Tony. "Hey Tony."

"Kid." Tony practically ran to Peter, and was careful to hug him gently. Tears of joy streamed down both their faces.

Peter chuckled, "I'm back, dad, I'm back!" He didn't even notice what he had called Tony, but the billionaire did.

"I missed you so so much, son. Don't ever do that again, you hear? If you do, I'll ground you." Tony joked.

Peter pulled back, much to soon for Tony's liking, and smiled, "Can we, maybe, sit down?"

Peter proved his point of being weak as his knees buckled. Thankfully Tony caught him, though just barely. He supported the teen and they made their way to the couch. "Gods Pete, you sure like giving me heart problems."

Peter smiled sheepishly, "S-sorry dad." Then he shivered.

"Are you cold kid?" Tony asked, concerned.

"N-no, I'm fine, don't worry." He replied through chattering teeth.

Tony didn't believe for even a second, "Uh-huh. Listen I'm going to make us some hot chocolate, alright?"

"Without peppermint this time, ok?" Peter stressed that detail ever since that incident last Christmas.

Christmas.

Peter sat thinking about it for a while, until Tony finally came back. "Hey Dad, what-what day is it?"

Tony handed Peter his mug, "December 7th." Tony grabbed the blanket he had specially made for Peter a while back. It was extra thick and soft, which added a comforting weight because of Peter's strength.  It was also heated, since he had a hard time thermoregulating since the spider bite. Tony spread it over the kid, and grabbed another warm blanket of his own, along with his hot coffee.

"Why aren't there any Christmas decorations?"

Tony looked at the ground, slightly ashamed and choked-up. "It just didn't really feel like Christmas without you, Pete." Tony made a swipe at the tears in his eyes hoping Peter wouldn't notice, which the teen did.

Peter hugged Tony again, "I'm so sorry. I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere. Maybe this weekend we could get a Christmas tree?" Peter looked at Tony and settled himself further into the plush couch cushions.

Tony grinned and ruffled the kids hair, "Sure buddy, we can do that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note:
Well, tell me what y'all think. Are you happy Peter's back? I am ☺️. Thanks for reading!
Lots of love,
Siri