t w e l v e

"Don't worry about me Mommy! I'm super strong! I'll get better, I promise!"

"Mommy, all the kids are playing outside. Why can't I?"

"Mo-Mommy? Why are you crying?"

"Mommy? Will- Will I get better?"

"Why do I even have to follow the doctor's orders! Why does it have to be me!"

"Why do I have to suffer?!"

"Miracles don't exist! Why are you so damn hopeful!"

"This is bullshit! You aren't trying enough!"

"I'm sorry."

"Maybe one day, I won't feel this anymore."

"Mina? That's a beautiful name."

you made me hopeful.
~

Mina was always afraid of falling in love with the wrong person. She was afraid of that because she's heard the many stories from others, and she was well aware of the pain that accompanied these heart breaking stories. Mina thought that if she could just look away from the possibility of love then she'll be able to avoid the pain that'll come.

However, that obviously didn't work. Mina thought of herself as a fool for thinking she was immune to those possibilities. For thinking it'll never happen because she was careful. Mina was careful, until Chaeyoung came along and busted down those walls.

"I'm sorry." is all that came out of Chaeyoung's mouth after their short exchange. Mina didn't know what to do. She wanted to cry, to scream out her hatred towards this cursed system; but nothing came. The only thing she could do was bring themself into Chaeyoung's room.

Where they both sat down on the couch, a fair distance between the two of them.

Mina shifted in her seat, her forehead breaking into a slight sweat. She was afraid to open her mouth and it wasn't because of Chaeyoung's presence but because Mina didn't want to cry another river. She wanted to just, rest her eyes.

Chaeyoung let out a short breath; her eyes closing in the process. She looked tired as well, almost as if her energy was draining. "I never wanted to fall in love." Chaeyoung muttered, her head hung, "I never wanted to feel something when I touch their hand. I never wanted to feel like i'm jumping over a million stars when I lock eyes with someone else."

Mina was afraid to look up but she still listened. Her heart was beating faster than it was before and yet Chaeyoung's voice was able to override the noise of her heart.

"It's both a blessing and curse to be so attached to this hospital." Chaeyoung continued. She paused, as if trying to let something pass. After a minute or two, her frail voice cut through the silence, "At least in the hospital, I wouldn't meet a lot of people. I'll be able to isolate myself from any love. From any chances at it. At least I'll be able to isolate myself from the millions and millions of people that walk on this earth." Chaeyoung muttered.

Mina could almost feel the pain that swelled within the younger girl's heavy words. Chaeyoung's shoulder shuddered but Mina was to focused on the floor tiles to see her expression. The former let out a sigh; it was shaky, "At least in the hospital, I would only have a one in a million chance of falling into something that'll be too difficult to avoid." Chaeyoung added, though her voice was merely a whisper.