Chapter 16

Alan POV
It had been about a month and a half since Hannah started school. Hannah had been adjusting to her new school pretty well. The first week or so was a bit difficult, she cried every time we left her but April said that after we left she was having fun in class. After the first week and a half Hannah still whined a bit when we left but there were no more tears and devastation. Hannah even made a friend, Katie. From what April told us Katie's diagnosis was similar to Hannah's except Katie's regression was due to a brain injury rather than abuse. April told us that their friendship was sparked by them both having cats. Freddie and I were glad that Hannah made a friend given how nervous she was about being lonely the first day. One day after school we were lucky enough to meet Katie's parents; Freddie and I generally kept to ourselves given that we were the only same sex couple and we weren't sure how parents would react to us. Katie's parents were very accepting and open minded though. Katie innocently asked why Hannah had two Daddies and not a Mommy. Her parents kindly explained that all families are different. "Sweetheart some families have a mommy and a daddy, some have two mommies, and some have two daddies," Katie's mother gently said to her.

Overall all things were looking up. Hannah has adjusted pretty well to being at home and going to school. She's made such progress since she came home. I'm pretty embarrassed at how terrified I was to make the choice to adopt Hannah. I'm so grateful Freddie is my husband, I would have never have had the courage to do adopt Hannah without him. I love our perfect family. Freddie is the nurturer, I'm the protector and Hannah is our little girl. Even Samson is getting used to having Hannah around.

Freddie, Hannah, and I needed to head to the grocery store to get food for the week. We were making our through the aisles and Hannah was walking a few feet ahead of us picking out things for her school lunches. All of a sudden Hannah froze. The next thing I knew she was grabbing onto Freddie nearly hyperventilating. "Hannah baby what's wrong?" Freddie said as he held her in his arms. "Please..... please, don't let her hurt me." "Who do you think is going to hurt you love?" I asked her. "She pointed to a woman down the aisle. I looked over and saw a woman who had blonde hair, a thin frame, with a "deer in the headlights look. I've seen that look before, it was Hannah's mother. "Oh my God Alan," Freddie said.  "I.... I'm so sorry," Hannah's mother said just before she made a dash for the door. Before I knew it I found my self running after her. "Alan, Alan what are you doing?" I hear Freddie call after me. I couldn't help it, I needed to follow her.

I followed her to the parking lot and ran in front of her forcing her to come to a stop. "Hey!" I said as I jumped in front of her. "I'm so sorry. I swear I didn't know you lived around here or that you would be here! I'm so sorry," she said. All I could do was stare at her. "I didn't mean to scare her or upset you! I promise I won't come here anymore I'll go to a different store from now on, I won't come here anymore," she rambled on. Still all I could do was stare at her astonished. "Look I....I know I have no right to be even asking this but is.....is she okay" she asked. I couldn't respond to her, partly because I was still in shock and partly because she was right, she had no right to be asking after everything she put Hannah through. "I'm sorry, I'll just leave," she said before she ran off.

When she ran off I noticed she dropped her ID, which I quickly picked up.  I turned around and saw Freddie running out with Hannah in his arms. "Alan what the hell were you thinking ?" he barked. Hannah was in tears and was hysterical, "I'm sorry Freddie. It's okay love it's okay, how about we go home now?" I said as I stroked her hair. "Yes lets go home!" Freddie said giving me a stern look. Before he noticed, I shoved the ID in my pocket.

Hannah cried the whole way home, I drove while Freddie did his best to calm her. "It's alright darling, Daddy's here, no one is going to hurt you," he tried to calm her. This was all my fault, I knew her mother was out but I didn't tell Freddie. What on earth was going to do now that he knew that Hannah's mother was free?