vi. preguiça

vi. preguiça

"The hand of the dilligent will rule, while the slothful will be put to forced labor." --Proverbs 12:24.

-

sloth: (n) reluctance to work or make an effort; laziness. 

When Cristiano got home from training one afternoon, he discovered Adelaida on the phone with her grandmother. It was two weeks before their wedding and she had been running around the house stressed for months. She wanted everything to be perfect, especially for the church ceremony. Now all that was left for her to do was to call everyone on their guest list and personally ask if they would attend the wedding. They had sent out invitations months before, but Adelaida was that way. She preferred adding a personal touch, and she did it by calling all one hundred families on the phone. The last was her own. She had been putting off calling her grandmother until the very last moment. When Cristiano saw her, she had a frown on her beautiful face and seemed on the verge of tears. "But grandmother..." She tried to explain to her, but her grandmother wouldn't hear any of it. "I really want you to be at the wedding." She tried again.

As he got closer to her, he could hear her grandmother's loud scolding through the ear piece. "I do not want to be at that wedding because you have become spiritually apathetic. You have upset God and he will punish you." Her grandmother warned in a completely serious tone. By now, there were tears streaming down her granddaughter's face, but she tried her hardest to contain her sobs. She hated feeling as though the love she had for Cristiano was a horrible sin, yet her grandmother made it her mission to make her feel that way. "You have neglected the wishes of God."

"You're misjudging Cristiano." Adelaida tried to tell her grandmother. Finally standing in front of her, Cristiano knelt in front of the chair she was sitting at and held her hand whilst she silently cried.

"I know his kind." Her grandmother assured her.

"At least make an effort to come. Please." Adelaida was practcially begging.

Her grandmother refused. "No, Adelaida. I told you that once you left this house I would consider you gone. And you wanted it that way as well."

"You know what, grandmother?" Adelaida was now suddenly full of anger. "You're being prideful. And that is also a deadly sin, so if you want to talk about burning in hell, you can tell me about your experience since you'll be making a visit there first." With that, she hit the end call button and threw the phone over Cristiano's head where it hit the wall on the other side of the room.

"Relax, bela." Cristiano told her, bringing her hand to his lips.

"I love her." Adelaida sighed in frustration. "But she just drives me crazy. Everything has to be as she believes it to be or else its wrong. Well, I didn't see God speaking to her. She just reaches her crazy conclusions from elsewhere. God would never want me to be miserable. God is love, he is everything beautiful in the world. The absence of God is what produces the evil in the world, he would never do something bad to someone he loves."

"I agree." Cristiano nodded. "Its true that I don't go to church as much as she does, but she makes me sound like I'm the devil."

An idea came to Adelaida and Cristiano noticed the smile playing on her lips. "If she wants to see hell, she'll see it." She had a plan that would certainly scare her grandmother, but she no longer cared.

She was beyond the scoldings.

Adelaida was going to do things her own way. It seemed like it wasn't enough that she attended service everyday, prayed each night before going to sleep, and reading from her bible on her spare time. Her life had been completely devoted to God and the church before Cristiano came into her life. Sure a few things about her had changed, but she still loved God and she knew God still loved her.

What her grandmother saw as sloth was merely Adelaida's accomodation of having a boyfriend. But she also knew that under sloth was classified the neglection of God, something she wasn't doing. But in spending more time with Cristiano, she found she was spending less time at the church.

And that, she felt guilty about.

-

i have a great idea for the last chapter. omg guys, i hope you like it. i am so excited to post it. i based it off a really good song that i'll be posting along with the next chapter, which will be the last in this story. anyway, thank you for reading. it means a lot to me. and sorry this one is a bit shorter than the others. 

i love you.

-clary xx