iii. inveja

iii. inveja

-

"A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot." --Proverbs 14:30.

-

                envy: (n) a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck.

Adelaida couldn't understand how Cristiano did it, but he convinced her to spend the remaining days of his vacation with him every morning after service and her bible study classes. She would refuse at first, then he would shoot her that smile only he could pull off so perfectly and she was convinced. She was even lying to her grandmother about where she was spending so much of her time, and that was something she never did. Her grandmother was the one person she could tell everything to and she was lying to her now, for she knew she would disapprove of her grandaughter's frienship with the football star.

Days later he returned to Madrid, but promised he would visit the next time he was in town, which Adelaida felt would be an eternity before it happened. He told her they could exchange phone numbers and she could always watch him on her television. But it wasn't the same.

She sat in her livingroom several days later, her television tuned to the sports channel where a football game was showing. Real Madrid vs. Deportivo La Corunya. 

Adelaida sighed at her television screen, wishing she could be there. He was going to have the weekend free, he promised he would visit. She knew he had a busy life and football career to attend to. He couldn't just take time off to visit her. They were only friends anyway, that was how Adelaida wanted it for the time being.

Her grandmother walked into the livingroom and the twenty-three year old clicked a button on the remote, flipping channels quickly. But it was too late, her grandmother had already seen what she was watching. "You're watching football?" She asked, her grey eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Uh," Adelaida blushed.

"Don't tell me you like one of those guys? They aren't good for girls like you. They're immoral and some famous people even sell their souls to the devil in exchange for fame." She warned her.

Adelaida found herself rolling her eyes at her grandmother's words, something she had never done before. Normally, she would have agreed with her immediately. But she felt like Cristiano was different. "But grandmother," She argued, "Not all of them are bad. I, for one, think some of them might be nice guys. And people who get to watch football games live," or rather Cristiano, "are very lucky. Don't you think so?"

"Envy makes the bones rot." Grandma Vieira quoted from the bible.

"Right." Adelaida frowned. 

But she still felt the envy in her heart. She felt envious of all the people who got to talk to Cristiano, all the people who got to touch him, while all she could do was sit at her house and wait for him to visit her. She was no longer the perfect and devout church girl her grandmother knew.

And like that she experienced a third sin on the list of seven.

She experienced invejo.

-

update.

from now there are about five more updates for this to end.

i hope you're all enjoying the story.

thank you so much for reading.

i love you.

-clary xx