Chapter Seven:

"Maybe I'll kill myself or something, I don't know."

"Johnny, you're not gonna kill yourself."

"But I gotta do something. It seems like there's gotta be some place without greasers or Socs. With just people. Plain, ordinary people."

..

"I had to. They were drowning you, Pony. They might've killed you. And they had a blade... They were gonna beat me up."

..

"My parents.. did they ask about me?"

"No. They didn't"

-

I haven't talked much about my best friend, have I?
I know I talked a little about that friend of mine that inspired me to tell this story.
That friend that I haven't seen in about six months.
His name is Johnny.

Johnny Cade was my best friend in the world.
We went through everything together.

I know I was not a great friend to him a lot of the time.
I see that now, and I regret it.

He had a harder life than I do, but I would never listen to his problems on the rare occasions that he would complain about them. All I ever did was complain about my own.
-
(third person point of view)
"Come on, Johnny, we're running away," Ponyboy said as he pulled Johnny up.

Johnny jumped up and they began running. Johnny had no idea where they were running to, he just followed behind Ponyboy.

They ran for about a minute until Ponyboy stopped to catch his breath.

"Take it easy, Pony. It'll be all right, man. Just cool it, man," Johnny said in a calming voice.

"You got a cigarette, Johnny? I'm scared to death," Pony said while trying to catch his breath.

"Well don't be, man. You're scarin' me. What happened?" Johnny asked as he pulled out a cigarette and handed it to Ponyboy.

"Darry hit me. I swear, we used to get along just fine 'til mom and dad died, but now he can't stand me." Pony said.

Johnny looked down at the ground. "You know, I think I like it better when my old man's hittin' me. At least he knows I'm there."

"Come on, let's walk to the park and back. Maybe I'll be cooled off enough to go home," Pony said as he grabbed Johnny.

"Yeah, all right," Johnny said as he followed behind Ponyboy.
-
(Ponyboy's point of view)
It's truly unbelievable how amazing of a friend Johnny was to me. And that's all very clear to me now.

It's crazy how someone can do so much for you, but when you realize everything they do for you and you finally want to thank them for it, it's too late.