leт'ѕ вe ғrιendѕ ↠

♕cнapтer ᴛнree♕

"тaĸe мy нand. ι proмιѕe ι'll proтecт yoυ. ι'll вe тнere ғor yoυ. alwayѕ."

Her eyes were the deepest green he has ever seen. Darker than the shade of a newly born spring leaf but lighter than the deep green moss found at the edge of a riverbank.

Her hair was pink. Not the hot pink he usually saw painted neon on the buildings he passed when he went back to his new home but the pastel pink that decorated freshly bloomed sakura petals.

Her mouth curved lightly into a gentle smile. It was beautiful. The smile plastered on her bow-like lips. He couldn't help but return it with a one full of uncertainty and fear.

He was afraid. No terrified. No matter how kind she and her smile looked, his heart was still bleeding. His feelings were too raw to be willing to hope, to expect kindness so soon.

Naruto Uzumaki has had a tough week. Kicked out of the orphanage for existing, he tried to be invisible. Maybe if he succeeded in hiding from the world, it would leave him alone. It didn't. She found him sitting in a random swing, clothes and face dirty from a recent fight he lost terribly. He was angry and sad but sadder that everything wasn't going right for him and he hated it. Then she smiled.  An awkward smile paired with equally an awkward statement that left him flabbergasted and with flaming hot cheeks. His heart after that confrontation felt lighter than it had ever been.

She was wearing a more natural smile today. Her stance was more confident and her eyes equally so. She was carrying a blue backpack that looked filled to the brim. Her green eyes sparkled with amusement as he continued to gap at her unbelievably. He still couldn't believe that she was here again and talking to him.

"My name is Haruno Sakura. It's nice meeting you." She bowed, actually bowed, and looked expectantly at him, patiently waiting for him to introduce himself.

"My name is Uzumaki Naruto."

She nodded, satisfied with his answer and plopped on the swing next to him, and gently rocked herself back and forth in complete silence. Naruto didn't know what to say or do so he kept quiet and did nothing.

A minute passed rather uneventfully as well as another until, after almost three full ones, Sakura began to speak.

"My father got me a book about interactions after I told him about my lack of knowledge on how to make friends. A chapter with thirty thousand words stated the steps on how to make a friend. I would quote the chapter but it's quite lengthy and the action will take a long time to carry out so I recommend we skip it all."

Once again, Naruto was speechless and the only word he could utter was a weak and confused, "Huh?"

Sakura turned to face him and smiled brightly his way, her eyes crinkling at the corner of her eyelids.

"Let's be friends. "