Chapter Ten

~Harry Potter~
The look on Fletcher's face was priceless-the shock and horror combined to make him look like a gaping fish who knew he'd been out of water too long.
After they left, I knelt in front of Orion and wrapped him in a tight hug, whispering my thanks. He grumbled a little, nuzzling his face against mine and licking my face before nudging his way out of my arms and trotting off towards the front doors of the manor.

Bill chuckled, "I guess he wants to check out the manor just as much as you do, Harry. Shall we? I suggest we call for any Potter house elves and avoid touching things, in case they're cursed or have dark creatures inside them, like curtains. Doxies love curtains."

I nodded, Bill and I following Orion as we headed towards the double doors of the manor. As we got closer, Bill stated, "I'm not entirely sure if the key is the key to the doors or whether the doors will respond to your magic-we'll have to check when we get closer, but have you been taught how to flare your magic out without your wand?" At the shake of my head, he continued, "Well, do you feel anything in particular when you cast spells?"

Shrugging, I admitted, "Usually a warmth in my chest, or an energy. I don't know many spells though, since as you stated, our Defence teachers have been absolute bollocks."

Bill nodded, "Well, try and remember that warmth, and focus on the door opening for you-that is, if that key doesn't work."

I nodded, looking over the doors that Orion was sitting in front of. Spotting a key hole near the door handles, I pulled out the key that had been the portkey, and pushed it into the slot, letting out a sigh of a relief as it turned and the door opened. However, as it opened, I wasn't expecting to find half an army of house elves standing there, holding knives out in a defensive stance. 

Stepping back in alarm, I stated, "Woah, easy there! I'm Harry Potter! This is my home! Please, calm down! I'm not an intruder." Motioning at Bill and Orion I continued, "This is my friend Bill, and my dog, Orion. May we come in?"

An older, harried looking house elf stepped forward, slowly lowering her arm, whispered, "Master Harry? You've come home?"

I nodded, "Did you know me when I was a baby? I don't have many memories from when I was a baby, but-but did you know me?"

The house elf nodded slowly and stated, "I am Whimsy, the head elf of this estate. Whimsy used to care for Master Harry when Master James, and Mistress Lily lived here, before they went into hiding. That dog is no dog, he is an animagus, a friend of Master James. Padfoot, why are you hiding from Master Harry?"

Looking confused, I was shocked when Bill pushed me behind him and trained his wand on Orion-who was Padfoot? An animagus? Like McGonagall?-before he said,  "Transform back, before I curse you to Wiltshire and back."

In a fluid motion, Orion became a dirty looking older man in a jail jumpsuit, black hair messy, a growth of beard on his face. Bill hand tightened on his wand and he muttered, "Sirius bloody Black. I should have known."

The man laughed, "Why should you have known? No one but these house elves and my friends knew we became animagi. I knew Whimsy would recognise me, and I figured this reaction would happen, but I only want my godson happy and safe."

Bill sounded angry when he stated, "If you wanted your godson safe, why did you betray his parents to Voldemort then?? Isn't that the opposite of keeping your godson happy??"

Pushing out from behind Bill, I shouted, "You betrayed my parents?? Why??"

Sirius shook his head, "I didn't do it, Harry. Everyone thinks I was the secret keeper for the Fidelus charm, the charm they used to hide themselves from Voldemort, but I wasn't. I suggested that they switch us-I would be the decoy while Peter would be the true secret keeper. When I found out what had happened, I went after Peter. I tried to get to you, but Hagrid wouldn't give you to me-said he had specific orders from Dumbledore that I was not to leave with you. That you had to be brought to him. I got frustrated and decided to go check on Peter, and when I found him gone, I tracked him down." Sirius shook his head, disgusted, and continued, "The sneaky rat bastard killed the muggles, cut off his finger and disappeared into the sewers just as the Aurors arrived."

Bill held an arm out, stopping me from going any closer to Sirius, but I stated, "Bill, he's been with me since I got off the train, practically. If he wanted me dead, he had me alone, asleep last night. He's protected me. What if he's telling the truth? What if he really was framed by this Peter guy?"

Bill sighed, but before he could reply Whimsy cut in, "There is truth serum in the Potion's cabinet, under a stasis charm. Whimsy could get it for you, Master Harry."

Looking at Bill, who nodded, I politely asked, "Would you please, Whimsy?"

With a nod, Whimsy disappeared from sight for a moment before appearing again, this time with a potion vial in hand. She handed it to Bill, who guardedly reached out to drop three drops into Sirius' mouth. 

After a moment, Bill questioned, "What's your full name?"

Sirius, in a monotone voice, answered, "Sirius Orion Black."

Bill nodded, "Were you the Secret Keeper for the Potters?"

"No, I let everyone think I was, but they switched."

"Who did they switch to?"

"Our friend, Peter Pettigrew."

"What is your animagus form?"

"The Grim, or a large black dog."

"How did you escape from Azkaban?"

"I stayed in my animagus form to avoid the dementors. After seeing the photo of Peter in his animagus form, I starved myself until my dog form was skinny enough to slip through the bars. I swam back to shore."

"Did you ever receive a trial?"

"No, I was brought directly to Azkaban under the orders of Crouch and Bagold."

"What are your intentions towards Harry Potter?"

"I only want him safe and happy. As I have no proof without someone finding Peter, I planned to stay as his dog, and protect him that way. I want him to live safely and happily."

Whimsy held out another vial and pointedly stated, "The antidote, sir."

Bill chuckled, taking the vial, and dropped three drops into Sirius' mouth, and the man shook his head, a scowl on his face, "That stuff tastes foul."

Bill shook his head, "What did you mean when you said you saw him in a newspaper?"

"Weasley-your father that is-he won the raffle, didn't he? There was a picture of your whole family standing with the Minister. The rat in the photo-that's Peter. I helped him transform into his animagus form, and spent several years gallivanting around Hogwarts with him. I'd recognize it anywhere. He's even missing a toe, isn't he?"

Bill scowled in disgust and cursed under his breath, "Scabbers. You're telling me a murderous, death eater has been living with my family for the past twelve years?"

Sirius nodded, and Bill sighed, "Transform into your dog form, Sirius. We're going to go catch ourselves a rat. Harry, we're going to make a pit stop at my house before we check out the manor-hopefully we'll get your dogfather a trial while we're at it. Sparian could probably help. Also those aurors-I'll claim to be teaching you the animagus revealing spell when it worked on Scabbers, and I recognised the supposedly dead man. Sirius cannot be found right now-the Ministry is in an uproar, and he would most likely be kissed on sight."

Scowling in confusion, I asked, "Kissed?"

Bill chuckled, "Dementors, Harry, they kiss you to suck out your soul. Foul beasts, they are. We need to keep them away from Sirius, and from Peter. Peter can't answer questions if his soul is sucked out-which I'm worried the Minister might try, if he thinks his ratings will go down over this."