Chapter Twelve

~Harry Potter~
Pointedly glaring at Farley's wand, I stated, "Shortly after you arrested Fletcher, we entered Camborne Manor. I found a group of at least fifteen house elves waiting for me, holding knives like they were going to defend the place to their death. They must have thought we were Fletcher. My nanny elf, Whimsy, recognized me, and when I introduced her to Curse-breaker Weasley and my dog, she informed me he was not just a dog. Sirius transformed back, and we questioned him with a truth serum."
Mrs. Bones raised an eyebrow and asked interestedly, "Oh? And where did the two of you get truth serum? A ministry regulated potion?"
Shrugging, I admitted, "Whimsy said they had some under stasis in Camborne Manor, they also had the antidote."
"Well, that's understandable. Your grandfather was a potioneer, as was his father before him. However, unlike your great-grandfather, your grandfather made it his career. Your great-grandfather was an auror, like your father."
Perking up at a new piece of information about my dad, I asked, "My dad was an Auror? Did he join the war effort? Was the war with Voldemort going on when he was an Auror?"
Sirius chuckled, completely ignoring Farleys' wand that was pointed in his direction still, and reached out and ruffled my hair, "Your Da and I were partners, Prongslet. We joined right out of Hogwarts, and our training was expedited because of the war effort. Within six months of training we were out in the field, fighting Death Eaters and doing our best to save people."
I grinned, "My dad was a hero then, even before he-he died to save me from Voldemort?"
Sirius' smile turned melancholic and he nodded, his voiced choked up as he murmured, "Yeah, Prongslet, your Da was a hero, and one of the best men I've ever known."
Madam Bones cleared her throat, "He was a very good man, Mr. Potter, and a very good Auror. One of our best." She cleared her throat again, "However, I believe there are others things we must discuss, such as where Sirius is going to stay while I arrange the trials for him and Mr. Pettigrew."
I bit my thumb for a moment before I stated, "Could he stay with me, as long as he had an Auror escort? I don't want him in a holding cell. It's not right-he's spent enough time locked up. With Curse-Breaker Weasleys' help and Sirius' I'm sure I could get the wards on Camborne Manor up to snuff and you could chose any two Aurors to come and stay with us until the trial is ready. I may have to leave occasionally, but Sirius could stay there full time and stay out of sight."
Auror Farley sighed, "Madam Bones, if you agree I'll volunteer to be one of the Aurors." He looked at me and smiled briefly, "Mr. Potter has so far trusted me, and I'd like to repay that by helping to make sure one of the few adults in his life who didn't fail him stays alive and gets well."
Sirius smiled sadly, "I appreciate that, Auror Farley, but I did fail him. I failed him when I trusted Dumbledore and instead went after Pettigew instead of taking him and going into hiding with him until the clean up was over."
Madam Bones seemed to think it over before giving a sharp nod, "Alright, Auror Farley, you have my permission to choose one other trusted Auror to join you on this assignment, but it needs to be one who isn't in anyones pocket. I don't want this getting out before I can have the trial arranged, alright?"
Auror Farley nodded, "Yes Ma'am. May I ask Mad-Eye? I'm sure he'd love to see one of his apprentices again, and I'm sure nothing could get past that eye of his."
Madam Bones nodded, "If you can get him to agree to it, I have no problem with that. I have several things to discuss with Mr. Potter, so please, transform the rat back into his animagus form, and put a silencing spell on his cage. We don't need him overhearing anything that isn't his to hear."
I waited until Farley forced Pettigrew back into his animagus form before shutting him back into the cage and casting a spell at it before setting it into the corner of the room and setting a cloak over it. Once Madam Bones cast several spells making the door glow, I asked, "You're sure that he can't hear what we say?"
Madam Bones nodded, "There is a silencing spell on his cage and on the cloak covering him. Now, is there any other things you can share with me about what happened?"
I nodded, "Not about this specific subject, but one that is also connected to Dumbledore. Madam Bones, as you're Director of the DMLE, how well do you know you're obscure dark magic?"
Madam Bones tilted her head slightly, "Anyone who trains under Moody knows their dark magic really well, as your godfather can tell you. Why do we need to discuss dark magic?"
I sighed, reaching into my pocket and pulling out my money pouch. "Is there any way to ensure that the people in this room can't talk about what I say with other people?"
Madam Bones nodded, "Yes, they can take oaths on their magic. Is it-is it serious?"
I nodded, and she sighed, holding up her wand in her hand, "I, Amelia Bones, Regent of House Bones and Director of the Office of Magical Law Enforcement, swear upon my magic that I will not discuss anything spoken in my office by Harry James Potter, Lord of House Potter, without his prior permission. So I swear, so mote it be." Yellow sparks flew from the tip of her wand.
Bill smiled slightly before doing the same, and finally, I turned and handed my wand to Sirius, "I'm trusting you, Sirius, so don't break that trust."
Sirius nodded, "I would never, Prongslet." He took a deep breath before accepting the wand and speaking, "I, Sirius Orion Black, Heir to House of Black, Blood Sworn Godfaher to Harry James Potter, swear upon my magic that anything Harry says within this office will never pass my lips without his permission, so I swear, so mote it be." Gold sparks flew from the wand, making Sirius smile, before he carefully handed the wand back to me.
I nodded my thanks to the three of them before I opened my money pouch and pulled out the medical list, handing it over to Madam Bones, waiting for her to read the words. It wasn't very far down the list, so it was a short time before she was basically throwing herself around her desk and coming to my side, whispering quietly, "You poor child." She wrapped me in a hug, surprising me, before she pulled back and asked, "Can I run a diagnostic?"
I nodded, staring up at her unflinchingly as she pointed her wand at my face, at my scar, and wordlessly cast a spell, parchment unfolding from the end of her wand. She read that before nodding, hugging me once more, and making her way back around her desk.
Sirius and Bill both looked incredibly worried, so I whispered, "I-I'm an accidental horcrux, of Voldemorts. He did it when he tried to kill me that Halloween night. Sparian doesn't know how we're to get it out, but I told him that even if I have to die I will. I'm not going to stay anchoring that-that monster to life."
Bill immediately began cursing in several different languages before he hugged me, "I read about them in Egypt. You're not the first living horcrux. I'll research it, and we'll figure out how to save you." I felt my eyes tear up, and I nodded against his shoulder before pulling away and wiping my eyes with my fingers.
Sirius knelt in front of me, "Bill can have access to my familys' library. They've been into dark magic for generations-I don't know if they ever got into horcruxes but I recognize the term, so maybe he'll be able to find something that can help in there. I'll do whatever I can to help you, Prongslet. I promise."
Madam Bones cut in, "Why did you never tell me that you were his blood sworn godfather?"
Sirius turned, sitting back in his chair before he spat, "I didn't even get a trial the first time, Bones, what would it have changed for me? I requested visits from you but the guards laughed in my face! How was I supposed to tell you? I couldn't tell you before it happened because they were under fidelis and I refused to put them in more danger."
Madam Bones had a look of complete fury on her face by the time he finished, and I had to squash the urge to step in front of him as she began to speak, "What the bloody hell do you mean you never got a trial, Sirius??! You were arrested by Mad-Eye, he would have followed it through! They would have needed his testimony about what he saw!"
Sirius shook his head, "I'm telling you, Bones, they put a sleep spell on me in the Ministry holding cell, and I woke up in Azkaban. There was no trial."
Madam Bones groaned, "Those bloody incompetent fools! They sent you to Azkaban without a trial!" She ran a hand through her short hair before she nodded, seemingly to herself, and said, "Right, Sirius, you and Harry get back to his home. Curse-Breaker Weasley, make damn sure his wards are up to snuff. War mode, please. I'll not have anything more happen to these two if I can help it. I'll contact Twilfitt and Tattings and have them send an automated measuring tape to take your measurements. You'll be standing up in court, and you, Mr. Potter, will be taking your place amongst the Wizengamot. I'll tell them to make you a set of Wizengamot robes as well." A knock sounded on the door, and Madam Bones waved her wand, the door opening to reveal Auror Farley and a wizard who looked to have come straight out of a horror movie; missing limbs, scarred face, crazy looking eye, peg leg.
Auror Farley nodded his greetings before stating, "Auror Moody has agreed to join my mission, Madam Bones. When shall we begin?"
Madam Bones scowled, "You two can start by getting your arses in here and taking an oath of silence."
They shut the door behind them and both swore an oath, though 'Moody' seemed to be rather reluctant to do so. Once everyone had said their oaths I folded up my medical history and tucked it back into my pouch before taking the diagnostic paper and doing the same with it. Auror Moody spoke up, "Bones, why do you have a mass murderer sitting in your office with Albus' ward?"
Anger rose up in my chest and I spoke harshly, "I am not Albus Dumbledores' ward! Albus Dumbledore has never taken care of me a day in my life and is currently in a Ministry holding cell because he stole from me, and left me with magic hating muggles!" Lowering my voice a little I added, "And you should know that Sirius is innocent as you never even attended a trial for him! You were the Auror who arrested him and yet you were never called to testify? You just assumed that he was guilty. You don't get to stand there and make accusations that you know nothing about!"
Madam Bones, Auror Farley and Sirius all seemed to be waiting anxiously for an explosion, Sirius looking like he was ready to push me out of the way, and both Madam Bones and Bill had their wands in their hands, but after a moment Auror Moody nodded, "You've got some balls, lad. My bosses don't even get to talk to me that way, but I can't disagree with you. I did always find it fishy that Bagnold and Crouch insisted that they had enough evidence that they hadn't needed to call witnesses. However, you're forgetting one person who was involved in that farce-Albus Dumbledore."