Floor 23: The Monster From Below

"Z-Zoro...?" Luffy whispered as present-day Zoro shut his eye and looked away, unable to find anything to say.

But for Luffy, was like there was an empty buzzing in his ears as he stared at the scene in front of him. Zoro... he had offered his life in exchange for his own... he offered to die in his stead to Kuma. And he never knew?

Why? Why did he do it? What was he thinking? How could he be so stupid as to make a deal like this? His entire body shook with both shock and rage, an urge to swing around and punch Zoro was so powerful at that moment that he almost couldn't contain himself. The only thing that stopped him from acting on impulse was the sight of memory Zoro still on his knees as he had finished begging Kuma to take his head in exchange for the lives of the crew.

As for present-day Zoro, he felt that all his worst nightmares were coming at once as he merely stood there. There was nothing that he could say that would be able to take away what Luffy had just seen, knowing that all he could do at this point was allow him to see and judge with his own eyes what happened.

Perhaps Kuma had a hint of surprise in his face as those blank eyes merely gazed back down from where memory Zoro sat. But that was just a guess at this point... it was easier to see what memory Zoro was thinking as he glared back refusing to move or turn away as he waited for Kuma to make up his mind. Either way, he had made it clear that he wasn't going to stand by and allow Kuma to take Luffy from them.

Just then, from the rubble, somebody had gotten back to his feet and was now stumbling his way towards them. When Luffy turned to see who it was, his eyes widen in shock to see that it was Sanji... his clothes were blood and ripped, and he was now walking with a definite limp—probably from where he almost broke his leg trying to kick Kuma from before—but he was still awake and now getting their attention as he marched over with his hands in his pockets.

"Real cute, quit trying to show me up!" Sanji called, his voice wheezing slightly as he demanded, "You've got the right idea but what about your dream? You can't accomplish anything if you're dead you stubborn fool."

"You..." memory Zoro snarled back as Sanji walked on past until he was standing right in front of his crewmate and blocking him from Kuma's view.

"Listen you giant oaf!" Sanji yelled even as memory Zoro hissed, trying to stop him, "Hey!"

But Sanji completely ignored him as he barked up at Kuma, "Don't bother with Moss Head here! If you're taking a head, take mine!"

"W-What?" Luffy choked out, feeling as if the world was falling away from him for a second time. What were... how...? Why were they doing this?! Memory Sanji was now trembling—most likely through a combination of fear and effort to keep standing. But he stood his ground as he glared up at Kuma without a trace of hesitation.

"The government may not consider me a serious threat right now, but you'll regret not taking my head once I start making trouble!" he warned, "Now's your chance to take on Black-Leg Sanji!"

"You... jackass!" memory Zoro snarled out, however he insulted him without his usual irritation. This time, he actually sounded concerned for Sanji's life if he continued on like this.

Luffy's face was twitching as he lowered his head, the rim of his straw hat shadowing his face so that any emotion became hidden.

Kuma, meanwhile, continued looking down at the pair of them with those empty eyes as the two men waited for his 'judgement'. They knew that they didn't stand a chance against him... even if they were in a fit state to fight; he was just way out of their league. They also knew that they couldn't stop him from killing them all anyway, but if he was willing to let them all go for just one head... they were willing to throw their pride away and offer up their lives in exchange if only his empathy was great enough.