Chapter 2

"One." Loki's eyes drift to me from the complicated patterns carved on the metal door and glows with pride. "One...nine. Three. Four. ..."

My eyes instantly spot the keypad under the illumination of the blue light and I start to enter the numbers nervously, a thrilling mystery awaiting ahead. It beams brightly above my fingers, praising us for the pretty work.

"O...six."

I finish the input process as instructed and send Loki a uncertain glance, gaining a nod of reassurance.

"Open it."

"You'll do it." I take a step back and shiver a little as the blue light goes off and becomes bright red with a beep. Loki frowns at my cowardice and walks pass me to push the heavy door open.

A dark room with far end reveals itself and Loki has not hesitated to enter. I grope to find the light switch but Loki kicks my calf lightly and shakes his head.

"There are cameras everywhere. You turn on the light, they see who we are."

But it is so dark here that I can't see anything. I might even bump into things that're...not that pleasant to cope with.

With that thought a soft hand grabs mine gently and I am led the way forward. I follow blindly behind, silently appreciating.

"Stairs." Loki reports after some walk and I squeezes his hand tighter, feeling myself sinking with every step and finally, standing flat on the ground.

"What do we have here?"

"Bills. Classified files." I can hear the sound of things being rammaged as Loki searches through the chamber. "...a suitcase. Labeled...'time'."

"Take that with ya." I order.

But as soon as he has his hands on it I regret it.

The alarm protests loudly and red lights start to sparkle in every direction. I shout the first word that comes to mind.

"Runn!"

Loki grips my arm and starts to scurry like crazy. I can see the metal door closing automatically threatening to trap us inside, and Loki extinguishing the chance of elating it. He swings the suitcase vigorously and it collides with the door, leaving us a small gap to slip through.

With one swift jump I land on the ground safely and Loki immediately plucks the suitcase so the door closes with a thud. The red light goes off and is replaced by the blue light again, as though nothing has ever happened.

"The case..." I pant with lingering fear. "..does it have anything to do with...time?"

Loki purses his lips in uncertainty. "We're going to see what it contains anyway."

"It's encrypted." I finger the combination lock, frustrated.

"A mere muzzle that means to curb the lion." Loki looks around and quickens his pace. "Where are you staying for now?"

"An ugly hostel." I answer dryly and Loki fixes his gaze on me, looking determined all of a sudden.

"...take me there, then."

~·~·~·~

"Speak." I hiss.

"Agent McKelty. This is Hill."

"Finally Maria. Calling me." I tease bitterly and is instantly sent an amused glance by Loki.

"What's your status? Did Hydra find out who you are?"

"That's really an abstruse question." I snap into the phone like a boorish beast.

"...Coulson's been waiting for you."

My mouth widens. "...he's alive?"

"He said that it was time to reveal this to some of his trustworthy agents." Maria reports mechanically. "And he wants you in The Refuge."

"Nottingham? Really?" I groan.

"It's an order." her tones darkens.

I sigh. "Roger that."

"Good luck to you, Cheryl."

"Likewise." I toss the phone on the bed and it lands feebly on the soft surface, motionless. Loki leans against the door crossing his armored arms, apparently expecting a clear explanation.

"We're leaving tomorrow." I shrug.

"Where. Why." Loki grills emotionless.

"SHIELD wants my presence for the roll call after its breakdown." he puts down the suitcase as I approach him. "You going anywhere tonight?"

"If that's any of your buisness, yes, I'm searching that room in the woods thoroughly." Loki's expession becomes stone cold. "Stay here, figure out the password." he points at the case.

"Fine." I mumble grudgingly and turn to find him already disappeared from the doorway like a phantom.

I swallow and retrieve my phone, my eyes never leaving the suitcase.

"...Ivan, can I borrow your bird tomorrow?"