Chapter 3

Something hard stings my cheek.

I groan in agony as my eyes begin to open, sunlight piercing through the dusty window and into the chamber. I lie half asleep on the floor, my head still resting on the suitcase, screaming in pain.

A vague figure comes in sight and kneels in front of me, the head slightly tilting to the right.

"Morning." I striaghten my body and murmur in a hoarse voice.

Loki leans closer and his face becomes a façade of solemnity. "The password's changed. But the carvings haven't."

I frown. "What does that mean?"

"I entered the same password but the door wouldn't open this time. It's no longer valid. And since the carvings on the door told me what to enter the first time, it would not give me the hint again. Just as you know, it's called carvings because the patterns can never be changed."

"That means you can't go in?" I jump to the consequence.

Loki leans back, pursing his lips a little bit. "It's a very advanced device."

I look over my shoulder. "The case..."

"I know." Loki stands up from the floor.

"Take that with you too."

~·~·~·~

"Hey Ivan." I walk towards the tarmac and greet with a nod.

"Hi Cheryl." Ivan slaps my shoulder in a friendly manner, his Japanese accent raspy. "The bird's ready."

I take out a couple of wrinkled bills from my pocket. "Would it be enough?"

"No Cheryl." he shakes his head. "It's my responsibilty to take care of you."

Loki sends me a short glance but I ignore him.

"Where had you been by the way? I couldn't find you on the beach." Ivan asks with a raised eyebrow.

"With him." I lift my chin slightly at Loki and Ivan is instantly drawn to his presence.

"Who's this?" Ivan frowns.

"Bodyguard." I mumble simply and walk pass him with a shivering body as Loki, in his black hoodie and drop crotch pants looking good, follows, impatience all written on his face.

"...bug the plane." someone says.

~·~·~·~

I half lay on my seat with my mind spinning, the sky so blue that it hurts my eyes. Loki gives me his back on the floor, his hands lightly stroking the surface of the suitcase.

I look out of the window, my back slightly aching.

"...who's that man?" Loki breaks the confrontation.

"Ivan. He's my dad's friend. I asked him for help during my escape from Hydra...yeah." I murmur but Loki only sighs.

"Cheryl...you've no idea who you're up against."

"Do you?" I snap. "You don't even know what is Hydra, for that matter."

"That's not what I mean." he looks away.

I silently admire his beautiful figure as he plays with his fingers, thinking of what to say. The thoughtful expression he wears can probably ruin the life of every single girl in the world, and his abdomen...

I sigh.

"What do you plan to do to me?"

"You're not asking anything." he utters with a straight face.

"Why would I? I know better." I hiss. "You won't give me answers anyway."

"So are going to do whatever I ask you to do? No matter what I plan to do in your lab?"

"Why don't you tell me what I could do about it." I finally lose my temper and glare at him in frustration.

Loki shoots me a cold glance and my expression instantly softens in reflexion.

"Sorry I...a little bit annoyed just now."

He slowly nods at my spontaneous confession.

"Show me then."

"...wh-what?"

"Show me." He pats the suitcase."You already know the code, do you not?"

I widen my mouth a little bit and strive to make an innocent face. "What are you-"

"Stop lying!" he barks suddenly and shoots up from the ground. I back away a little, startled.

He takes a deep breath and his stare softens grudgingly.

"...why are you doing this?" he grills in a whisper.

"Who knows what you're going to do with it once you have it? You're a criminal after all." I pout and retort.

"Then open the door and throw me out."

"No way!" I widen my eyes pretending to be shocked. "I know I look dumb but why would any researcher throw her study target out?"

"Even if it costs the world?" he challenges but I only blink like I know it all.

"Men are selfish."

"Then show me." he says emotionless. "Unlock it."

I swallow and approach him, staring at the suitcase. I kneel down slowly and look at him like a lost puppy.

"Do it." he only says.

My fingers start to work out the password undering his burning stare and the suitcase clicks in response.

"What's the password?" I can sense his curiosity as he asks quietly.

"That's the strange thing, Loki." my tone darkens.

"It's my birthday."

He frowns at the remark, obviously skeptical.

My eyes drift to the object the case contains and his gaze follows.

"The Ruby."

"Time Stone." I admire as the red gem lies peacefully, sparkling with energy that swirls inside.

His gaze lands on a symbol imprinted on the surface of the case and mine follows, a six-leg red skull shown in front of my eyes.

"...and it's Hydra's property."