Chapter 5

"What the heck Maria?"

"You should have given us a call as soon as you arrived."

"Don't change the subject!" I scream hysterically into the phone.

"Chill out, Cheryl." Hill's emotionless voice is terribly serene and it only angers me further.

"Who were those guys?"

"I don't know, not Hydra." I pace up and down as Loki eyes follow, his head slightly shaking in disdain. "Maybe someone they hire that means to take me down."

"I need your location."

"Yeah, looks like you-"

"Agent McKelty." Hill's tone harshens. "We need you in The Refuge, right now."

I squints at Loki. "I-I don't want to."

"This is an order." Hill spits with slight impatience.

"Maria-"

"McKelty." she barks darkly. "You won't want to make this difficult."

I hide my lower lip behind my front teeth nervously. Loki closes his eyes in frustration, his ice cold expression revealing his clear dispproval towards the way I deal with the situation.

"I...I can't."

"Why not?"

"I-" I lifts my chin in pure desperation.

"I am forced into a raw-a deal."

"With who?" she grills.

"...someone dangerous." the statement turns out difficult on my lips as Loki's strong presence overwhelms me from behind.

"And powerful."

There is a moment of taicturnity from the other side, until Hill again breaks the silence.

"I'll ask Coulson about it."

I hang up the phone as soon as possible, my face in my hands.

"...Cheryl."

"What is it?" I mutters inattentively.

"You're not safe out here. Anywhere but The Refuge."

"Glad you know this is for you." I snaps with pride and points at the bunk bed at the back of the garage.

"You on top, me under."

"Me under." Loki shoots back but I won't give in.

"Why?"

He purses his lips. "No particular reason."

"Well, there has to be one." I dare but instantly regrets it when he towers over me.

He moistens his lips slowly with a small lick. "...I need to know that you're safe. Anything happens...it's on me first."

I lock my eyes with his but he breaks the eye contact gingerly.

"That sounds great."

"So you will still have your pathetic life to bring me to my destination." he adds quickly.

I presents a small smile and raises my brows in amazement.

"Loki..." I look away to avoid his gaze as much as I could for he is too distracting for me to continue.

"I will have the lower bunk."

"Since?" I stare into his eyes and momentarily regret it. Those cerulean eyes...that captures every single soul strayed within them.

"...a god's life is more valuable than a mortal's?" I suggest, seeing the hesitant expression I wear through his limpid pupils.

He gives a silent sigh. "Fine."

"Thank you." I utter coyly. "And...I apologize if this place is making you uncomfortable...it's already the closest thing to home...and is all I can provide you with."

He gives no response. I swallow as I pick up a mug covered with dirt, my mind searching for the right word to say.

"Oh...and don't hate me for taking you to a single restaurant for meals over a thousand times."

~·~·~·~

I stare at the sushi laying idly on the plastic plate, and the chopsticks that await quietly beside. I rub my hands in quandary, the chopstick struggling vigorously as I impal the sushi with it.

Loki's chilly hand pins my wrist on the bar table and the sushi falls willingly back on the plate.

I wink at Loki through confused eyes as he gets me to hold both of the chopsticks.

"Here." he hisses snappily, placing his fingers on top of mine. "Use your thumb and index finger to control the pair, and for the other three ones, just place them behind and press your knuckles against the narrow surfaces."

I fiddle the chopsticks and they move grudgingly between my clumsy fingers. I glance with jealousy as Loki easily picks up his food from the plate, a tinge of disdainful pride flitting across his feature.

"Why are you teaching me this?"

"No one is going to believe it if I claim that we have no relation." he frowns at my horrible table manners and remarks. "Learn not to eat like Thor."

"Well, as long as I can eat it." I start impaling the sushi again.

He seems to have given up as he supports his chin with a palm, a hint of impatience streaming through his tapping fingers to the table.

"Look who is bored the pants off." I tease, half questioning.

"And he would be so grateful if you could eat faster."

"A proper reason will be appreciated."

He places a finger between his pale lips.

"I need to see someone."

I am instantly drawn to the statement. "...so you have connections?"

"Not exactly." he stands up tall from the chair and I follow, leaving a couple of bills on the table.

"Who are you talking about, honestly."

He balks in the midst of darkness, his figure distinctly outlined under the weak illumination of the moon.

"...a restrained beast."