Chapter I

"I'm scared they won't hear me, so I scream louder."

Aesop Carl - The Embalmer

        The manor was heavily decorated with old Victorian fashion sense, only if the people ignore the slight cracks out in the open— paints on the wall being ripped as well as the curtains. Several windows broken, glass pieces scattered on the ground in and out.

        It was not unpleasant, the place was tolerable. Despite the eerie vibe the manor gives off, the people living in it makes it lively and humane.

        Why would anyone live in a manor in such a condition in a place like this? The Game. That was what brought people here. People were invited here to play the game, to win an award. Who would have imagined they would be trapped here?

        People from all around the world with different backgrounds were gathered here, without knowing what was coming for them.

        Including the embalmer, Aesop, for all he knew, all of them have been here for at least six months. None of them were ageing, none of them were injured or killed, it is something eternal. Many would have wanted it, but he most definitely did not.

        The match would begin in approximately thirty minutes, a few of them were already in the waiting room for the names to be announced.

        The game was seen to be difficult and scary at first sight, but they have all gotten used to it— it is no longer a big deal for them. Occasionally, there will be two hunter and eight survivors in a single game. Most often, a single hunter with four survivors. All you have to do is to decode five ciphers and open the exit gate to escape. The hunters may not kill you but they can send you back to the manor by putting you on a rocket chair or wrap you into a cocoon.

        Aesop soon went down into the waiting room just in case he would be playing in a match. Most likely he would be chosen since he has not been in a match for around three days. There were a few people in the room as well, if he recognised them correctly they would be the mercenary, doctor, gardener and the seer.

        As anxious as he was, he decided to keep a fair distance away from the rest until the names have been announced. A couple of survivors soon made their way into the waiting room as well, most of them were chattering along with one another. Only a few chose to stay afar from the rest.

        A couple of minutes passed by, the monitor in the room soon lit up although in black screen. Four names were shown on the monitor.

       He let out a sigh as he noticed his name was shown second on the screen after the doctor's. The last two survivors chosen were the mercenary and the seer. Weird combination, but they could make it work if each of them do their part in the right way.

        He watched as his teammates made their way towards the table where they'll be waiting for the hunter's side to send out one of their own. The mercenary took the furthest seat away from the other two, the seer and the doctor were conversing as if they were already strategising. Hesitantly, he made his way towards the empty seat in silent.

        Aesop watched as the two strategises while the mercenary across from him just sat in silence, if anything, the other seemed exhausted and honestly was done with everything and anything. Which was out of character since he would usually be going around the manor as if he's always on sugar rush. The grey-haired embalmer decided to not question it as he tugged nervously at his mask. He blacked out as soon as the screen announced that the hunter was ready.