Chapter V

"I'm scared they will leave me, so I don't let them in."

Aesop Carl - The Embalmer

08:00; the best time to wander into the garden in the backyard, the gardener and the priestess had done a wonderful job at keeping it the way it is. The atmosphere was refreshing, the scenery was unbelievably pleasant— a blessing to all mankind.

The embalmer stay seated on the ground, surrounding him were all variety of flowers, from little tulips to huge sunflowers. The combination could make anyone smile even if it was a bad day.

"Never would have thought you like the flowers' company, Mr. Carl." Causing the embalmer to turn around, only to meet the blue eyes the residents rarely witness. Markings on the skin under his eyes, chestnut hair with a neat undercut. The seer before him was gorgeous. The owl hooted as it flew towards Aesop and landed on his box with a cute stare.

        The seer sat himself down right next to the embalmer, "Never thought you were a morning person." Aesop commented, he did not mind the seer's company. He felt comfort around him.

        Eli chuckled at the comment, "The ruckus on the third floor has woken the owl up." Receiving a small nod from the other.

        The two remained silent, both admiring different things. Unlike the embalmer who was focusing on the flowers, the seer was amazed by how beautiful the other was. How could someone be this stunning exist?

        The owl hooted once again to break the silence, as if it knew exactly what was happening. As if it could sense the tension going on, Eli was internally screaming and panicking when Aesop turned to meet his gaze. He was caught staring.

        "Is there something on my face, Clark?" The embalmer's voice rang out, causing the seer to scream internally on the inside once again. He could already hear a bunch of little Eli's in his head running in circles like maniacs.

Eli shook his head, "No," he thought of an excuse, "was your hair always grey to begin with?" Regretted everything afterwards since it may have sounded offensive.

        The other simply raised an eyebrow, "Yeah...?" The conversation was rather awkward.

        They both exchanged a look before decided on admiring the scenery instead of trying small talks anymore.

••••••••

An hour soon passed, the seer had left Aesop alone in the garden as he was hungry. Now that he thought about it, he had not eaten anything since last night. His stomach was already screaming at him for being a dumbass. Well, he sincerely apologises to his stomach for not having any meal. Perhaps he could try eating an owl next— that was a dirty thought.

        The embalmer mentally slapped himself for having such a thought. His face red although his cheeks were mostly covered by his mask, how convenient. He could already see himself with a crazed look in his very own dull eyes.

        Without any more delay, he headed back into the manor for breakfast. Hopefully to distract himself as well.

•••••••••

        The dining hall was used for— well, basically it is for eating. Is it still called the dining hall? He did not care. He slipped into the kitchen after setting his box right next to his chair, claiming the seat.

        The smell of something sweet filled the kitchen, it hit him the moment he stumbled into the place itself. His eyes scanned the kitchen, only to spot the mechanic holding a tray with macarons on it. He has not tasted them before, even if he had saw them a couple of times in some candy stores.

        The mechanic soon noticed the grey-haired existence. "Mr. Embalmer!" He sure has a lot of nicknames, he noted down. "Would you do the honours of trying out the macarons?" Despite her tone, she had puppy eyes staring right into Aesop's soul.

        He wanted to decline, but nodded instead. Honestly, how could he deny sweets out of all things? He grabbed the one which seemed to be coffee flavoured, pulling down his mask to chew on it.

        What can he say? He was absolute that he was in heaven for a split second.

        "How was it?" The blond asked with a smirk, only to be responded with a nod. "Great!"

        With that, she happily brought the macarons out into the dining hall. Leaving the embalmer chewing on the tiny macaron with a flowery aura surrounding him.

••••••••••

        Eyes gazed directly at the large monitor displayed in the main hall, he let out a sigh as soon as his name popped up once again on the screen— followed by the enchantress, gardener and prospector.

        He glanced over to the three who were already seated at the table, enchantress seemed to be just playing with the fork in her hand while Emma stared off into space as usual. The prospector was just.. being prospector. The usual. Good to know everyone was still sane.

•••••••

        He soon realised they were at the red church, not his favourite since the map was quite tiny in comparison to places like eversleeping. Not that he is complaining. The embalmer hurried towards the closer cipher, he avoided going to the one in the middle of the church since hunters usually patrol around the area. And he knew that he is not a good distraction.

        A few minutes later, a message rang out in his communicator which was from the enchantress. 'The Hunter is near me!', she sent out the moment she was injured.

        Ticked his tongue in annoyance as he set up his coffin, he has not reunited with anyone yet. Not to mention they have just begun, not a single cipher should be halfway done just yet.

        He bumped into a camera, literally. Slammed his head against the frame, for a moment he thought he was blind. "Well fu—" He mumbled, knowing exactly who the hunter was. He jumped when the camera world was activated, judging from the picture, the photographer was at the maze on the eastside.

        Soon after the camera world ended, he was downed. He felt his heart beating irregularly. The hunter was nearby.