Chapter VI

"I'm scared they'll find better, so I keep being the best."

Naib Subedar - The Mercenary

The brunet wandered around the manor instead of staying in the main hall to spectate the current match going on. For some reasons, he was not fond of the crowd today— not even an owl's adorable gaze could make him stay. Definitely not. Maybe it worked. Yes it did.

Before he realised it, he was back in the main hall as he followed the owl. The coordinator and perfumer sat right in front of the monitor as they observed the match closely, while others were off.. minding their own business. He soon met the seer's gaze, well— not exactly since the guy has blindfold on but that is besides the point.

Naib chose to ignore the other's attempted approach, and decided to shift his attention towards where the Mind's Eye and mechanic sat. With the owl landing on his shoulder, he knew that Eli was watching. He let out a sigh, side-glancing the owl, "Eli, shoo." He would not like it if someone were to watch his every move. With a hoot, the owl gave him a glance before spreading her wings as she flew back to her master.

He soon found himself staring at the screen in the room where they could spectate the match ongoing.

•••••••

The screen currently displayed the enchantress getting chased by the photographer, she slammed down the pallet and kept running into the graveyard. Dangerously close to the prospector who was decoding in the ruins next to it. Suddenly, the cameras were activated and the enchantress was downed in the camera world— signalling for her to run as far as possible before it ends.

The screen switched to spectate the prospector who had managed to decode a cipher just as the camera world was activated. Followed by the other at the shack, and another in the wedding area. A loud noise was heard as the embalmer summoned his coffin. Probably near the ruins gate instead of the wedding place.

Enchantress was downed as soon as the camera world ended, she had gotten quite far but that resulted in the photographer going after someone else. Norton was the nearest and he could already hear the heartbeat. The prospector readied his magnets as he took advantage of his speed-boost from the cipher machine, just in time to avoid the hit from the photographer. The hunter clicked in his tongue in annoyance.

Emma found the enchantress at the back of the church, she was close to self-healing and hadn't used it. She quickly rushed over to patch her up, "Good job getting away from the hunter." She whispered with a smile, as she was responded with a single nod.

•••••••

Naib took his eyes off of the screen as he already knew the outcome if Norton was the one kiting. It would probably be a draw or a win. Not to mention they've got Aesop, the team would be fine.

The mercenary stretched as he headed out of the main hall. It was getting louder and louder in there, he felt as if his ears were going to burst. He let out a shaky breath subconsciously, feeling restless. Feeling unusually enthusiastic about a match today, perhaps his body has finally decided that it was time to stop being a tired shithead.

        No matter how suddenly hyped he was, the mercenary headed straight back to his room for the day.

The hallways were as empty as ever, since most of the survivors gather in the main hall most of the day. People like Aesop and himself were the ones who isolate from the others. Simply either anxious or too tired of others' bullshit. Simple as that.

A nap wouldn't hurt, would it?

••••••••

He was woken up by the unconsiderably amount of knocking upon his door. Really. He felt as if his ears were going to burst. "Come in." He exhaustedly called out, his head still buried in the pillow, his blanket was kicked off and had fallen onto the ground.

It was the prospector, leaning against the doorframe. Sometimes, Naib just spaces out where he stood. He was undeniably good-looking, for someone who spent time in the mines.

"Martha wanted you to greet the new survivors." His voice sounded bored, there were some bandages around his arms, where he had rolled up his sleeves. He must have gotten them during the chase from the match earlier. "Heard the hunter side also has a newcomer, we might go against them later tonight."

        Despite the mentions of a new hunter, the mercenary did not feel even the slightest of fear. Perhaps he was used to it, everything, The Game. "I'll be right there."

        He had heard Norton sighed before closing the door. Knowing fully well that the mercenary needed some space for a short while. Well, it was true.. but technically no, he needed to fix himself up a little. He had to tie his hair again, the hairtie had fallen off when he was taking a nap. It wasn't a big deal. That was all he needed to do.

••••••••

        As soon as he arrived at the main hall, he could see that a few of the outgoing ones, such as William, Tracy and Emma had gathered around the new survivors. Whom he'd seen carrying a shovel.. the gravekeeper he had heard about perhaps? He's just taking wild guesses. The other seemed much of the opposite, the shackles, and some tools in his pockets. Questionable.

        A minute has passed, he finally decided to chime in. The one with shovel seemed nervous, Aesop 2.0 and he knows it. The crowd was dismissed after a while, a few stayed while many went back to minding their own business.

        Naib greeted the new survivors, the responses were different. There are two types of people, a nervous shovel boy and a lunatic-sounding yet sane prisoner. Alright, Otelus, this is getting interesting.

__________

A/N : sorry i was gone.. for a very long time actually lmao. i forgot to update this so this chapter may be a little random due to this was half written and i just simply added in a few more things. i was very late. might as well introduce Andrew and Luca. hope yall enjoy ;))

the next chapter may be a lil different